Menu
Christmas in China
Nov 30, 2005 08:30
  • JABAROOTOO
Christmas is not a traditional holiday or festival for the majority of people in China although it is being 'done' with an interesting mix of tradition and local interpretation.

For many of the foreign visitors it's a great comfort to hear and see some of the familiar sights and sounds of Christmas when we are so far from our families and friends.

Christmas is a time to be MERRY so I thought I would share with you something I read this week.

This is a portion of an advertisement in a Christmas Eve promotion for a party in a Four Star Hotel

'You are the extinguished guest who might have a chance to get free golf tickets or digital products'

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year
Nov 30, 2005 08:38
  • ELCABRON
;-) this advertisement sounds more like a threat ;-)

For the Chinese interpretation of Christmas it is more a stampede instead of a silent night;-)

Be careful with the hords of kids with their fake snowspray and the ballon bats - they will get you!
Nov 30, 2005 08:44
  • JABAROOTOO
I missed the crowds in last Christmas at a small private dinner party but was out on New Years Eve to witness what all my friends had told me about the week before. Hammers and snow !!!!!!!

Nov 30, 2005 08:48
  • CALIFORNIA
Christmas Day is getting more and more popular in the big cities in China,even beyong Spring Festival!

It is not a good phenomenon!

Nov 30, 2005 09:13
  • ETHNICEAST
you might as well be in church for christmas service! better than being sprayed by rowdy kids and squeezed by drunkards....
Nov 30, 2005 09:16
  • ETHNICEAST
or throw a party for the poor children...

Nov 30, 2005 17:15
  • SNOWBIRD
It will be nice to get the chance to get free golf tickets and digital products.

After that they extinguished you? LOL!!
Nov 30, 2005 18:53
  • CALIFORNIA
QUOTE:"I've also been told that December 22, being the solstice (shortest day), is quite significant for Chinese."---Usually,we eat dumplings in that day!

I will stay in the church with my friens,and pray and sing......

Nov 30, 2005 19:05
  • MAY001
Why Xmas is being more and more popular in China?
Because we Chinese have no other time to stay with friends... You know, Spring Festival is for family reunion, not for friends and lovers. So we just choose Xmas or Feb. 14 as the day to stay with friends and lovers.
Nov 30, 2005 19:07
  • CALIFORNIA
Hi,May,

If china likes USA or some Western contries,Spring Festival will become more and more popular!

Dec 19, 2005 09:28
  • JABAROOTOO
One of the joys of teaching this year has been telling the Christmas Story to my eager young students and giving them an opportunity to make a Christmas card for a member of their family.

I have been greatly encouraged that most of them know that Christmas is a celebration of Jesus' birthday.

Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Christmas in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code