Is it possible or visit an Orphanage in China
Dec 1, 2005 09:37
  • SONIAPAZ
Hi Everyone,
I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas whether or not it
would be possible to visit an orphange in China. I would really
like to go to one, play with the kids and take them some gifts
before the holiday season. I will be in Wuhan for a couple of
days next week. Any ideas or help would be greatly apprciated.
thanks,
Sonia
Dec 1, 2005 10:28
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi,
From what I have learned here it is not possible to walk in off the street to orphanages in China.
There are many reasons for this. Security is just one of them even in those operated by international agencies.

Suggest you contact the Red Cross or one of the organisations who work with children in China.
I'm sure they will gladly take you gifts but don't be disappointed if you are not asked to visit.

If you get another opportunity later to visit China it would be a good idea to make arrangements before you leave home and then you will be prepared.

It's still worth a try but.......
Dec 2, 2005 20:43
  • CALIFORNIA
QUOTE:"Suggest you contact the Red Cross or one of the organisations who work with children in China."

Yes,I agree with Jabarootoo!

Pls check this website:
http://www.redcross.org.cn/english/index.htm

I hope you can find useful infor.

Dec 10, 2005 08:19
  • ETHNICEAST
in case there are more friends who wish to visit orphanage in china, first we need to understand the different types of orphans work in china, there are those that are government run, which are also holding centers for orphans awaiting foreign and local adopting parents to come and pick them up. these orphanages are not easily accessible.

there are also those that operated by NGOs but are not for foreign adoption. these can be visited easily.

then there are those which are more like foster homes where children are being cared for by local families but receives support and assistance from NGOs also. those are also accessible.

I am familiar with all the 3 types, but only in yunnan, and are familiar with folks related to it.

Post a Reply to: Is it possible or visit an Orphanage in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code