Menu
A New Way Of Talking
Dec 2, 2005 02:09
  • SNOWBIRD
Chinglish of China and Singlish of Singapore are not a new phenomenon. It is a language acceptable to the locals. Foreigners never understand. They think it is funny.

I speak singlish and I am proud of it. It may be gramatically wrong but at least it is my language. Nobody can take it away from me. But when I write, I write proper english because singlish is not a language.

Similarly chinese who speak chinglish are in the same predicament. It is the local language. It is the culture. It will never go away.

So chinese should continue to speak chinglish and learn to write proper english.

Dec 2, 2005 02:58
  • RITA
Hi Snowbird,

Neither Singlish nor Chinglish nor any other -glish are languages. If Singlish or Chinglish are not proper as written languages, people should try to avoid speaking them as oral languages.
--------------------------------------------------

For a fairly long time, Chinese was separated into spoken language (白话) and written language (文言), everything put into written should be in "written language" with strict grammar rules and uncommon words. This system resulted in slow in spreading civilization and technology, etc. For all the people could speak, but not all could read, especially the Written Language (文言).

My point is, it is not good to separate one language into written and spoken languages, especially one of them can hardly be called "language". One of human being's nature is laziness, not all people like or remember to shift the Chinglish or Singlish into English when they write (or type).
--------------------------------------------------

But I agree that people should be very careful when they write. I remember one of my English teachers once said, "Everything you put into written will be permanent, so, think before you write."

Anyway, I will try my best to avoid Chinglish, write or speak. :-)
I have already learned a lot from you guys on language, so, thanks!
Dec 2, 2005 06:50
  • SNOWBIRD
I agree with you Rita.

Our problem is that we are stuck with Singlish. No way we can get out of it even though the Government have tried very hard to do so.
Post a Reply to: A New Way Of Talking
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code