Menu
Currency conversion
Jun 28, 2004 11:51
  • FIVEFOOT4QT
Can anyone tell me how easy it is to get local currency. I have heard also that Visa and other credit cards from outside China are not easily accepted except at a few banks and large hotels.
Is it easier to use Travellers cheques and are they easy to cash at hotels. Ill be staying at the Beijing International.
Jun 28, 2004 17:56
  • ANNA
Try to find a Bank of China which is only bank can convert currency for you.
And I think most hotel will accept the traveller cheque, but RMB is still necessary for you.
Jun 29, 2004 08:59
  • CATHY001
It is no problem for you to use you Visa or other kinds of credit cards at the hotel. For the local currence conversion, you'll easily find the Bank of China in almost every city in China, they accept credit card, traveler's check as well as cash.
Jul 2, 2004 23:03
  • ZHEORZH
Most of the large hotels have currency exchange at the front desk and can convert cash or travellers checks. It's the same rate as at the bank.
A cash advance against your credit card can be arranged at major branches of the Bank of China, but they charge a 5% surcharge, and may take a long time to complete your transaction.
Major credit cards are accepted at major hotels and large department stores and franchised dining spots that cater to tourists. But you'll need cash to avail yourself of most of the local shopping.
Jul 2, 2004 23:43
  • ZHEORZH
Forgot to mention in my previous post, there are bank machines or ATM's scattered around, probably some close to your hotel. The day I needed to use one (a weekend), all three of the ATM's close to my hotel were out of cash, and the banks were closed. The only other ATM's I knew of were at the airport, so I took a cab out there, got my money, and cabbed back to the hotel. I wished I'd had traveller's checks in reserve.
Jul 3, 2004 17:32
  • FIVEFOOT4QT
Thank you everyone who replied for your great advice. I will make sure I get travellers cheques then and try and get cash at my hotel or at the Bank of China. I will also take my credit card but not rely on it as I have in the past when travelling.
Jul 4, 2004 18:14
  • INTIANJIN
I have my travel money in American traveller's cheques but also have my home bank card for emergancy needs. It supports Maestro, Cirrus, and Plus which I need when outside of Canada. Last year I used US funds on my traveller's cheques which just wasted an exchange charge (CDN->USD->foreign). This year I went Canadian funds for my American Express traveller's cheques and they are accepted everywhere with a good rate. Bank of China charged me $3.75 on $500 exchange (In late July 2004). I was told its higher if you exchange over $1000.
Jul 10, 2004 04:26
  • HAWAII
Not only Bank of China can exchange your USD to RMB, most banks either Chinese banks or foreign banks can do such business. I think you can go to any bank which is the nearest to you and ask them.

Jan 14, 2008 20:20
GUEST50231 im here in jilin province right now, i still have my philippine money here, where can i change my money to rmb so i can use it??? does, changchun airport banks can change it? thank you so much for your immediate information...
Jan 15, 2008 08:58
  • APAULT
I don't think you will be able to change Phillipine money. I was unable to change South Korean currency even though it is one of the basket of currencies that the RMB is linked to.
Jan 15, 2008 11:27
GUEST50231 do you mean i cant really exchange it through their airport in changchun??? before i exchange my money in beijing airport and they changed it to RMB...
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Currency conversion
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code