Menu
Getting around Wuxi
Dec 5, 2005 19:11
  • WSLONG
Hi,

I'm going to wuxi soon. But I'm wondering what's the best way to get round in wuxi. Anyone have any ideas?
Dec 7, 2005 00:47
  • ELLYSE
As far as I know, there's no subway in Wuxi. You'll be best off taking taxis, assuming you have your address written down, preferably in Chinese. Don't waste time trying to figure out buses.
Dec 7, 2005 10:17
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi
Wuxi is not a big place.

First get a map.

Walk some, take a bus or a taxi. I did all three while I was there and had no troube getting about.

I took the bus to (lake) Tai hu no worrries. If I remember correctly they have a 'city tour' bus than runs by some of the main attractions and out to the lake.

Getting back was a different matter as I had watched the sunset across the lake along with the young friends I had made and it was now getting dark but we were a little lost and had difficulty finding our way to the other entrance but someone sent for help and a taxi came in to look for us and take us back to town.

Just be sure you have a map and the name of your accommodation so you can get back if something like this happens.

Enjoy your visit
Nov 12, 2006 19:03
  • SDLAWRENCE
I know this is an old thread, but I had to respond to the "Wuxi is not a big place" comment. I guess it's all relative, but to me, Wuxi is ENORMOUS! Walking is great for parts of downtown, but certainly not all of downtown. Other than that, there is only one way for ex-pats to get around, really, and that's by taxi. There's a jillion of them, and they're all the same price, regulated by government.

Tips/info on taxis:

1) It costs 8 RMB (about a dollar US) to get into a taxi. The meter increments 1 RMB at a time, and won't kick up to 9 RMB for about a mile after you get in. So for short distances, you're going to pay about a buck. For long crosstown driving, the most you'll pay for a taxi ride is about 16 RMB, and that's for a long haul. So for little more than a buck or two a trip, you're good to go.

2) Wherever you go, it's very handy if you can get someone to write (in Chinese) the name of the place you're at (or want to go to). Even better if you can get a business card with an address (like the hotels, or the Bank of China). I have yet to encounter a Wuxi taxi driver who knows even a word of English, but with my little business cards with the Chinese addresses or names of places written in Chinese on the back, I can show it to any driver, who will just look at it, nod, and take me there.

2) No tipping. Aside from the more westernized Chinese population centers like Shanghai and Hong Kong, tipping is an alien concept to most drivers. Some get angry if you do it, so don't tip taxi drivers. In fact, the only people I tip in China are Hotel employees in larger areas who have become accustomed to it.

Post a Reply to: Getting around Wuxi
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code