Menu
In SH for 3 wks. Fast+cheap way to Great Wall?
Dec 10, 2005 06:28
  • CHUCKG44
I'll be in Shanghai for business at the end of December, staying for three weeks. Is the Great Wall a trip one I could make on a weekend?

chuckg44
Dec 11, 2005 06:05
  • ELLYSE
Yes, it's definitely possible. You can choose to fly or take the overnight trains to Beijing. Flying will cost about twice the price of a train ticket (499 RMB for soft sleeper lower bunk on the best, overnight Z trains) though.
Dec 11, 2005 07:50
  • GAZ07
Here's what i would do:-

1. Book a flight for when you finish work on Friday. Unless you have more time, then you could get the "Z train" as Ellyse said.

2. Call to book a hostel/hotel to stay Fri and Sat night. At the same time, arrange your transport to and from "Great Wall Simatai" on the Saturday with the hostel/hotel.

3. Once your there, everything should run smoothely. You will have your Sunday free to visit Tiananmen Sq. + Forbidden City or the Summer Palace, whichever you want, before you travel back to SH on Sunday night!

A great place to stay is the new HI City Centre Hostel (right next to the railway station, and on the subway route). They also organise the transport to Simatai or other parts of the great wall.

I hope this helps.
Gaz
Dec 11, 2005 19:53
  • CALIFORNIA
And now,from Shanghai to Beijing,the air ticket was very cheap!"Z train" is a good choice:-)

Yes,as Gaz said,you can go to Simatai Great Wall(An amazing and wonderful section) with the hostel which you will book!and when will they start???I think they go to there very early,maybe 6 or 7 o'clock from downtown.If you can't go there with the hostel,you can choose Badaling Great Wall(Tourists usually go there!)

You'd better stay a hostel near Tian'anmen Square,it will be easy to go anywhere!

Have a nice trip!

PS:Beijing is very cold now,keep warm!!!

Dec 12, 2005 02:37
  • ELLYSE
Feel free to drop me a message if you need help organising this... I'm currently studying in Shanghai and I've travelled quite a lot around China already.
Post a Reply to: In SH for 3 wks. Fast+cheap way to Great Wall?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code