Menu
Begging is An Occupation
Dec 11, 2005 19:02
  • PHOENIX
very often we have seen able-bodied people begging in the streets. We asked ourselves, "Why are they not working?"

Teh truth : Begging is working. It is an occupation. Very often it is better than working.

Well, there afe exceptions. One-legged beggar is another story.
Dec 11, 2005 19:19
  • RITA
It is an occupation, beggars have structures, schedules and strategies, etc. At least it is an occupation better than robbers. :-)
Dec 12, 2005 08:49
  • ETHNICEAST
it is not technically an occupation, otherwise he/she will have to pay income tax but it is an art of asking for money. more like street artiste or basking, at least this is the situation in china.
in other countries when there are syndicates involve, healthy children or adults are intentionally crippled so as to help them look proper for the work.

Dec 12, 2005 10:47
  • ELCABRON
Oh, Ive seen family "syndicates" in China, too.

For example in Beijing along the road that passes the Forbidden City,heading to the night market, we met many kids begging in the evening. We watched carefully and saw older women on the corner who looked out for the police and received everything the kids collected. So I decided not to give money because that just encourages the parents to send their kids on the street. A friend of mine did, though......later he thought, ok, maybe naturals like food would be better because the kids could keep it. He bought a fastfood burger and gave it to one kid. Guess what - the kid didnt get one bite, instead the woman took it!

So it is the same all over the world - next to the ones that really need and deserve it there are always some black sheep that want to take advantage of other people´s altruism....

Sep 17, 2007 01:47
GUEST66598 So how do i tell the syndicates from the real beggars?
Sep 21, 2007 09:39
  • ELLYSE
You don't try. Just DO NOT GIVE.
Sep 21, 2007 11:16
GUESTPHOENIX... hello elcabron,I agree with all of your piont except thier children.in fact,all the kids are bought from far away and poor areas,they don't know whom there father and mother be.
Oct 12, 2007 08:57
GUEST28207 Mr. Elcabron must be a thoughtful and kind person!

:)

Tom

Post a Reply to: Begging is An Occupation
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code