Menu
The Baby's Name
Dec 13, 2005 06:00
  • PHOENIX
When you have a baby, it is usually the grandparents who decide on what name to give to the baby.

There are many considerations before the actual name is chosen. The names given are usually very meaningful.

I am not sure if this is still the current practice.

Dec 13, 2005 10:13
  • JABAROOTOO
Are we talking Chinese tradition or.............?

Dec 13, 2005 18:32
  • RITA
Since a baby name will definitely become an adult name, :-) let me talk about what tradition works on Chinese name - it's about China!
Take my name as an example, "Tung"- (only the Chinese relevant is my family name) is my family name - as English names, I have no choice about my family name, "X**h**" - which represents two separate Chinese letters - is my given name, my parents didn't take much time to decide which name I should use, because all the three letters in my name, they only needed to choose the last one. the middle letter was decided many hundred years ago by one of my had-some-education ancestors, the letters for boys in Tung family were written in a book, while the letters for girls were handed down orally from generation after generation, our girls name were not entitled to be taken in a BOOK!
So, as you may see I have a boring and plain name I would rather mention it here as Tung X**h**!
Dec 13, 2005 18:39
  • MAY001
Yes, it is a Chinese tradition that our parents or elders will decide the names of babies. We also ask some one who are knowledgable to give a name to the baby.
Dec 13, 2005 18:51
  • CALIFORNIA
And most of babies have nicknames,very interesting!Maybe it has relations with birth places,weather,animal......

What about your nicknames???Haha!

Dec 14, 2005 19:53
  • CONNY129
sometimes, people's name would reflect the feature of a decade :P
you may find that people who were born in the same decade usually have the similar given name :(
Dec 14, 2005 19:55
  • CALIFORNIA
LOl,conny,

Can you give us some examples???

Maybe for women:兰、凤、芝、琴......
Post a Reply to: The Baby's Name
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code