Menu
The Great Wall - No Advertisment Required
Dec 14, 2005 02:58
  • PHOENIX
I have been to Jiuzhaigou. It is a nice place. Green lakes and beautiful sceneries. Need I say more?

The Great Wall?

It is a great wall whichever angle you look at it. It is great even looking at it from outer space. NASA said so. Not me.

Visiting it in Autumn is even better. Grey walls set against red/yellow leaves. It is a beautiful sight to behold. Marvel at the superb creativity of the ancient chinese. Don't miss it. See it before you die!

Dec 14, 2005 20:01
  • CALIFORNIA
But the first chinse astronaut said that he didn't see the Great Wall from outer space!

Dec 14, 2005 20:17
  • MINDY
Ditto California! There is a story on that on xinhuanet.com

Please review the following:

"Arthur Waldron, author of the single most authoritative history of the Great Wall written in any language, has speculated that the myth of the Great Wall's visibility from outer space might go all the way back to the fascination with the "canals" some people during the late nineteenth century believed to exist on Mars. (The logic was strange and simple: If Earthlings can see the Martians' canals, the Martians might be able to see the Great Wall.) But in fact, the Great Wall simply cannot be seen by the unaided eye from the distance of the moon, much less that of Mars."
(from Wilkpedia.org)

And NASA states the myth to be one of their biggest annoyances. There are even claims that the story was started by a drunken NASA bigwig during an afterdinner speech.

Although I agree that the Great Wall is a spectacular sight that should not be missed, I don't agree with the claim that NASA says the Wall is visible from outer space.

Be prepared for your statements to be checked...it is not good to mislead people with false statements.
Dec 14, 2005 20:49
  • CALIFORNIA
Mindy,thank you very much!!!
Post a Reply to: The Great Wall - No Advertisment Required
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code