Menu
Travelling during Spring Festival - the truth
Dec 16, 2005 02:37
  • LEMONCACTUS
Hi all

My contract finishes on January 16th. I would like to do some travelling after this date, for about a month.

Bad timing or what ? I know the Spring Festival begins on 28th January and that a lot of things grind to a halt. I've not got a strict itinerary, nor do I intend to travel much but see a few places. Off the top of my head: Haerbin, Xi'an, Tai Shan and cities in Inner Mongolia.

What I want to know is how bad is travelling during this time (train/bus/plane) ? Do the tourist attractions/hostels/restaurants close down ?

(Having travelled in summer and the May & October holidays, I have a fair idea how hard train tickets are to get, but usually buses and planes are still OK options.)

Thanks in advance :)

Dec 16, 2005 19:17
  • CALIFORNIA
Hi,Lemoncactus,

Before one week or two weeks of Spring Festival,the train tickets were really difficult to buy!and also maybe from 2nd Feb,most of persons start to return Beijing,shanghai,guangzhou......where their work,and will last for about two or three weeks.

Yes,bus is also good choice!there are not so many perons in some place!

You know,it is cold in the north in winter.

Harbin is a nice city for travelling in winter,and don't forget the ice sculpture!

Tai shan is easy to go from Beijing!!!about four hours,I think!

Will you go to Innermongolia???which part do you want to visit???

Waiting more details!

Dec 17, 2005 00:50
  • LEMONCACTUS
Thanks California,

Inner Mongolia. I'm not really sure. Hohot of course as my first destination and then sneak up to Manzhouli. I wanted to see the Hulun Hu. I'd love to see the Grasslands in the winter; I like wild places. I'm just not sure if I'll be able to find someone to take me out there.

Do you have an tips of places worth seeing in Inner Mongolia?

Yes, of course, the Ice Sculptures in Harbin are top of my list :)

Dec 17, 2005 18:27
  • CALIFORNIA
Actually,I have never been to Hulubeir in Winter!

But Manzhouli is a border city,very small,from there to Hulun Nuor(Mongolian,means lake),about 20RMB by bus!Hulun Nuor is really a very very very beautiful lake!

And in Manzhouli,you can visit some russian shops,and the National Gate of China!

From the capital of Hulunbeir---Hailar,you can go to the north,named erguna,a very original place,if you have free time,I recommend a small villiage named Shiwei,it is a chinese russian village,you will find a very different one!

Have a nice trip!and Waiting your amazing pics......

Dec 17, 2005 20:20
  • LEMONCACTUS
Thanks CF

I will try and check those places out! ;)
Dec 18, 2005 19:30
  • CALIFORNIA
Thanks for the comments of my pics:-)

And it will be very cold in Hulunbeir in winter,and there was only white and black......
Dec 20, 2005 02:05
  • CALIFORNIA
I have lost a beautiful place named Moerdaoga National Park!!!

About 280km away from Hailar!9 hours by train!

Dec 20, 2005 03:03
  • JANEJANE
It is so crowded during Spring Festival. The ferries are packed with tourists and visitors. I They exceed the number of passengers allowed on the boat.

It is so dangerous. Many ferries have sank in India & Bangladesh due to over-loading. Hope this don't happen in China.
Dec 20, 2005 07:25
  • LEMONCACTUS
Hi CF

Lol!! Are you sure you've LOST that place ?!?! ;)

Thanks a lot for that. I'll look it up. I've also discovered another place close(ish) to Mazhouli called Arxan. It is a place of volcanic hot springs, near the mountains and also has an ice festival similar to Harbin.

I'm hoping that as Inner Mongolia has (relatively) few people and I doubt many other people are crazy enough to go exploring there in the middle of winter, that it will be quieter than other places during Spring Festival. A kind of 'escape'.

Jane, I've heard about the ferries in India. Fortunately I'm not planning on going on any ferries. I hope China isn't the same but I don't know.

Dec 20, 2005 19:11
  • CALIFORNIA
Hi,Lemoncactus,

LOL,yes!I lost it!I want to tell you all the Mongolia,but I don't think it a good idea:-)

I know Arshan,have you browsed my inner-mongolian pics?some of them were taken in Arshan!I think it is not very close to Manzhouli:-(If you have free time,you can go there!Veryyyyyyyyyy beautiful~~~~

Good luck!

Dec 20, 2005 20:40
  • LEMONCACTUS
Thanks again CF

Is 'arshan' the Chinese name for the place ?
It's very hard to find information on it. Arxan is perhaps Mongolian!

I will go and have a look at your Inner Mongolia pics, I've seen some of them not ones from arshan.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Travelling during Spring Festival - the truth
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code