Menu
questions about Chongqing
Dec 16, 2005 21:03
  • BENGOLDEN
Hi, I'll be traveling to Chongqing in mid January to teach English for 7.5 months. I was wondering a few things...

1) What travel/airline websites should I look at for the cheapest flight to Chongqing from the United States?

2) What is the gay scene like in China and what advice does anyone have for homosexuals going about life in Chongqing and China in general?

3) Are fitness gyms available and what's the typical membership fee? What are these gyms like?

4) I hear the weather is quite warm. Is it warmer even in the winter?

5) What types of brand name clothing stores are there in Chongqing? Any web links to good shopping sites?

If anyone has any additional advice for my transition from the U.S. to China please let me know :)

Sorry for all the questions, but whatever anyone can provide would be most helpful. Thanks so much!
Dec 17, 2005 02:58
  • ELCABRON
Hi there!

1. The cheapest way by plane would be only to book the main flight from the US to China (Beij/Sha for example) and than organize your flight to CQ by yourself at the airport.
This is easy following my experience and cheaper than booking both from your homecountry.

2. China is getting more and more liberal - homosexuality is not considered as a mental desease anymore.....for Chongqing, yes there should be a "scene" because I heard of special bars and I met some people - but for details I cant tell you - I would have to ask a friend.

3. There are but I never had time....I dont know fees.

4. CQ is hot and humid - in winter it never freezes, snow is unknown. Maybe once in a lifetime of a CQ citizen;-)

5. Fake or real?
Well actually doesnt matter, because CQ got it all. Stores especially in Shapingba and Jiefangbei offer everything.
Right at the Jiefangbei monument real company stores like ARMANI opened last year......be prepared for skyhigh prices;-)
They had a big article in the newspaper when a customer spent 30.000 Yuan in one day for Armani clothes.

Other members could be a help, too. Especially JABAROOTOO.

Dec 17, 2005 03:56
  • ELCABRON
PS: wintertime is rainy and foggy (this time I mean the real fog not the smog;-) though. Can be quite dull and cool.....
Dec 17, 2005 07:21
  • ELCABRON
Oh, a helpful resident soul told me there's a famous gay bar close to the Hilton Hotel, named RUYI BAR. Tell the cab driver, most of them know it. It's located in Lianglukou, Yuzhong District.

Dec 17, 2005 10:50
  • JABAROOTOO
I think all your answers have been covered very well by Elcabron.

Fees for Gyms range from about Y2000 to Y10000 per year depending on quality and location.

There's not much more I can add except it is very cold and dull in February

Welcome to CQ
Dec 19, 2005 20:32
  • BENGOLDEN
Thanks so much for the helpful advice!!!
Post a Reply to: questions about Chongqing
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code