Menu
christmas
Dec 17, 2005 22:29
  • SASSYGAL

As a means of commercial propaganda it is nicely presented with Santa Claus and its fir tree..nice feeling though!colorful reds and greens associated with this..lovely blinking sights and sounds of joyous celebration!

Another reason to stay in touch and keep in touch with friends and relatives!

How do we acquaint ourselves with the new christmas spreading around China?

Dec 19, 2005 01:59
  • LEMONCACTUS
Hi Sassygal

What is the new Christmas spreading around China ?

Here in Benxi Christmas is celebrated by the local 'large' supermarket, which has a Christmas Tree and some carols and my students who give each other apples and decorate the blackboard...

I kinda like it ;)

Dec 19, 2005 02:40
  • CONNY129
see beautiful decorated windows
parties
shopping
celebrating
~~
~~
Dec 19, 2005 08:07
  • CALIFORNIA
Maybe you can find it from the streets,shops,hotels......everywhere!!!
Dec 19, 2005 22:24
  • JELLYFISH
Chinese kids look to Christmas a something new. Commercial propaganda...you said it right. Shops are doing good business so naturally there will be more and more advertisments. In future generations christmas will be celebrated bigger than the spring festivals. So sad the chinese culture may be lost.
Dec 20, 2005 01:56
  • CALIFORNIA
Yes,but luckly,it is still traditional in the countryside:-)

Dec 20, 2005 04:20
  • GAZ07
I don't agree Jellyfish, i don't think Christmas will ever be bigger than the Spring Festival in China. One thing i noticed about China while i was there was that the Chinese are very proud of their traditions.

For most in my generation, Christmas isn't seen as a religous celebration anymore (thankfully, in my opinion). It's just a time to see your family, friends, eat together and have parties!
Dec 20, 2005 07:45
  • LEMONCACTUS
Hi Gaz

I also believe Christmas will never be bigger than Spring Festival in China. Though I've no doubt Christmas will grow and grow in China.

You're right too about its detachment from Christianity and I don't think that means a detachment from its core values (ie: peace, love). The best thing about Christmas (for me) is it's a great excuse to see friends/family, have a holiday, relax and have fun, go to parties, eat and drink lots :)

Dec 20, 2005 19:06
  • CALIFORNIA
It is a good thing that christmas grow up in China,and it has provided an excuse for friends meeting:-)

I like all the festivals!

Dec 21, 2005 19:26
  • RITA
I didn't realize that Sassygal is the Christmas fan *_^.
Dec 22, 2005 01:32
  • JUUGE
What is Christmas actually?

In Finland Christmas is much older manner than Christian religion. Christmas in Finnish language is Joulu, this word have nothing to do with Christians. As well Joulupukki (Santa Claus in Finnish) is a name of an old Finnish gnome or brownie.

And somehow same is the situation in all Europe, people were celebrating the beganning of New Year, longer days, coming spring... Christians just took this important holy time and claimed (without any evidence) Jesus was born those days...

So, in Finland there are at least three ways to spent Christmas; commercial/religious/pagan(or secular)

Commercial is most popular, religious is the next and of cource secular Joulu often is mixed with commercial one... as well as religious.

But however Christmas is a family meeting here, in deed.
So I was surprised to see you have reataurants full of people in Christmas. In Finland restaurants are closed...

However, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to eberybody!

See Finnish (commercial) Christmas:
http://www.santatelevision.com/index.html

Or my coyrtyard in non-commercial Christmas feelings:
http://www.kolumbus.fi/jukka.karvonen/Kiina06/joulu05/joulu05.htm

hopes Jukka
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: christmas
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code