Menu
New 2 China
Jul 2, 2004 16:06
  • BEN2CHINA
Greetings all!
My wife and I are teaching in Shanghi this year and I am wondering if I should bring my mtn bike, and if I need a computer should I buy it here on the mainland or wait to get to Shanghi? I am 6'5" and am concerned about finding a bike to suit. Can one find all the fixxins? And the laptop, is Shanghi a good place to buy such a thing, can I find one in English, are they compatiable as far as plug ins and oultlets go? Other things to consider that I may not have thought of? I am totally excited and inspired by the stories that I have read and heard. If you have a specific story or sit e that you think might be of interest to me, please, do share. To give you some insight into who we are: we are from Oregon, age 30, both extremely active and adventurous, enjoy a holistic and celbratory lifestyle. I am an Art teacher and Artist, ceramics and paint. Thanks in advance for any sharing and insights. Peace B
Jul 5, 2004 19:40
  • DANIELLEEC
Hi,nice to hear from you.As you mentioned,to buy a bike in Shanghai is pretty easy. as the price is low and the commodity in Shanghai(normally speaking) is diverse and low-priced.If you have any question,please mail to me. I'm a university student in Shanghai and glad to help both of you!
Sincerely Yours
Jul 6, 2004 03:02
  • BEN2CHINA
Hi Danielleec,
Thanks for the feedback! Is there any good mtn. biking in the area and how many people travel by bicycle? Is it still the dominat mode of transportation or are more people driving cars? What are you studying at universtiy? Thanks again, Peace B
Jul 6, 2004 11:00
  • DAISY
Driving car is very common is Shanghai, you know the main car production base is located in Shanghai, the Volkswagen China, Shanghai, so you can find the fashionable car on the street, for Shanghai is the leader in some vogue field. Maybe you will find a concept car or admiral car. So does the laptop!
Oct 3, 2004 17:08
  • DANIELLEEC
Riding bike is still one of the major way of transportation in Shanghai while taking bus and taxi are more popular. I'm sure you can buy the ideal one here.And have you started your travel.Mail me if you have any yahoo.com.cn|question.daniellecn
Wish you good luck
Oct 3, 2004 17:12
  • DANIELLEEC
Riding bike is still one of the major way of transportation in Shanghai while taking bus and taxi are more popular. I'm sure you can buy the ideal one here.And have you started your travel.Mail me if you have any question.
Wish you good luck
Oct 4, 2004 04:08
  • VISIONS
Hi, I havent been to Shanghai but my experience in other major cities is less of bikes and more of cars. I would be very very wary of riding a bike!! Barrachella of F1 car fame remarked that the drivers there are far more dangerous than his native Brazil!! My experineces would back that. I am sure you can find many good Mtn bike rides away from the city area tho. I have yet to see a modern Mtn bike on the road yet but have seen in stores. Laptop, cheaper but hard/impossible to get with English windows system, I have been looking. I am sure you will enjoy your experiences of China.... if you have an open and adaptable attitude and mind. And take your own toilet paper to public toilets...if you dare to use!
Have fun!!
Oct 5, 2004 07:47
  • RMAYEKAR
I would just be careful about bike theft. Like anywhere, the nicer the bike is, the more a chance it will be stolen. It would just be a shame to bring it to Shanghai and it be gone on your first outing. It shouldn't be a problem to find a suitable bike in China.
Oct 25, 2004 14:35
  • DARRENWANG
hi

it is good to know you guys are visiting China,

1. you can buy very good mtn bikes in Shanghai, or even very professional one at very low price.
There are bike theft danger existing, but if you jsut ride it as sort of sports, there will not be problems.

2. you can buy laptop with English os, if you consult your Shanghai friend. The one IBM I am using is originally installed with English OS.

Have a good stay!
Darren
Mar 25, 2005 16:44
  • PEARLMILK
hi, welcome to shanghai!
i am a shanghainese and now studying in NZ. actually (according to my experiences)i do not recommend you to use a bike as transport in shanghai because there are too many bikes in shanghai, and normally many riders do not obay the traffic rules, they are even rude sometimes.
in another world, i don't think it is safe enough for a foreigner to ride a bike in shanghai.
i think shanghai is a good place to buy a laptop. you can find the latest styles in shanghai and the prices are always acceptable.
Mar 25, 2005 16:53
  • DEE0228
Hi, Pearlmilk!

Since you are a Shanghainese, can you just give us some recommendation on finding a homestay in Shanghai? or any website related to this?
Thank you in advance.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: New 2 China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code