Menu
Growing up with the Big Mac
Dec 20, 2005 23:57
  • PHOENIX
Traditional chinese meals have more nutrients than western fast food.

Nowadays you see kids in China eating western meat burgers like crazy. It is really bad for the kids. You can see these fast foods outlets all over the country now. Sad!!

No wonder China's obesity rate is on the rise. What happened to the good old chinese meals?
Dec 21, 2005 00:11
  • CONNY129
if you have ever been in Xi'an ,you may find that not only KFC , McDonald ,Pizza hut full of people ,but also the famous restaurants are welcomed by local .
eating is almost a hobby among Xi'anese and take an important part in our daily life ^_*
Dec 21, 2005 00:27
  • CONNY129
obesity is a globle problem ,it is ture that Chinese youth are on the high risk of overweighted ,but it is not only due to hamburger, it has complicated reasons such as lack of exercises , supernutrition~~
Dec 21, 2005 15:42
  • MINDY
"Western food" should not be blamed for obesity. What should be is lack of moderation and exercise.
Dec 21, 2005 15:45
  • MINDY
Phoenix...I have a question for you...do you feel that westerners are responsible for the downfall of society? Please answer this, because this is the way your posts tend to read. I'm curious where the hate is coming from!
Dec 21, 2005 20:52
  • VENUS2000
Some comments are real jokes. Fact : Western fast foods are well-known for causing obesity. Fact : Other factors like lack of exercises are also a major cause of obesity. So what is there to argue about hatred and downfall of society? One good thing about this forum is that you get to see many chinese girls students photos. Some are quite pretty while some look too old to be students.
Dec 24, 2005 04:10
  • ALTUR
Quote "Traditional chinese meals have more nutrients than western fast food" One would certainly hope so.( it is also called 'junk' food). But it should be realised that 'fast food' is just that. Most 'western' families eat food prepared at home - much more so than one suspects do chinese families, given the more limited home cooking and food preparation facilities available to chinese. Such food is ever so much better.

As far as the claim that chinese food has more nutrients, that is doubtful, considering the much greater quantities that chinese seem to be able to consume compared to most westerners - and still stay trim, taught and terrific.

Dec 24, 2005 09:22
  • WCTMAN
Agreed. Eating with friends and family is a very important part of everyday life in Xi'An. As for nutrition, Chinese food has very little fat content. Plenty of vegetables, noodles, rice; not a great deal of meat like Western diets.

I have been here in Xi'An for 4 months and I still marvel at the slimness of the people here. Yet, they seem to be eating all the time.
The contrast is most notable when a tour bus pulls up and 40 or so Lao Wai's get off. Half of them are grossly overweight. I wonder what the local Chinese must think.
Dec 25, 2005 04:02
  • ELCABRON
Hello to everyone!
What do they say about the frontsides?
Post a Reply to: Growing up with the Big Mac
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code