Menu
Work in Chongqing
Dec 27, 2005 16:07
  • ZHANGABE
My girlfriend of many years is now going back to Chongqing to finish her college education. I want to go with her but I have had very little luck finding work in Chongqing. I have been an ESL teacher before on trips to China, but I can't seem to find anything withing Chongqing. I also have several years of retail/sales experience and I'm not aganist getting dirty for work. I just need something that will help me pay for daily life and have a little fun. So if anyone could help point me in the right direction I'd be very greatful.

Thanks

yahoo.com|necrogodomega
Dec 27, 2005 19:32
  • BELLELI
Don't give up, ZHANGABE, you'll get your job! Good Luck!
Dec 27, 2005 19:51
  • CONNY129
are you now in Chongqing ? where are you from ? Do you have a university diploma ? If you are from an English-speaking country with diploma and some working experiences ,I think it is not very hard to find a job as English teacher .Just search all the schools ( middle schools ,colleges...) in Chongqing to see if they have vacancy .
The gainless of your job hunting may come down to the low season ,you must know that winter vocation is coming and schools now have no need to recruit teachers . what's more important , Spring Festival is coming ,companies usually won't recruit employees at this period .So be patient ! Good Luck !Everything will be ok after the festival !
Dec 27, 2005 21:38
  • ZHANGABE
Yeah I didn't think about the Festival. As of right now I"m in Providence, RI (USA). I have been trying to apply to the schools of the area, so I'll just have to keep it up. Thanks for the support! lol, I really don't want to spend months from my girlfriend if I can help it.
Dec 27, 2005 21:43
  • CALIFORNIA
I think Jabarootoo can help you a lot:-)
Dec 27, 2005 21:46
  • CONNY129
Spring Festival is the most significant festival in China , and it is on 29th Jan. this year . I think your job hunting would be easier after the middle of Feb. at that time , new semester begines ,there must be some vacancy in schools or some companies !

Happy New Year ! enjoy the holiday at first ,then stick on your job hunting ^_*
Dec 28, 2005 01:53
  • BENJAMIN
Jobs in CQ at the moment are thin on the ground.-REF:Conny129;)

I've done the rounds of the agencies here myself but unless you are willing to work for peanuts, best bet is to wait until after spring festival. Then I'm sure, you'll be beating the offers back with ya little inflatable bat;)

You said you don't mind getting dirty. Then your last resort might be as a "bang-bar" man just bring your own bamboo pole. oh, and the rope...

there is always work BUT where you draw the line is up to you.

To be serious, I've turned away jobs here over the past 3 weeks (RMB60-80) an hour - however, I'm a fussy bugger. So you should have no issues if the money isn't of concern to you.

All the best.
Dec 28, 2005 02:45
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi there,
This is not the best time to be looking for a full year contract with school as it is mid year. You may find that you are offered some positions outside of Chongqing which will give you an income and of course you'll have somewhere to come back to on the weekends.

A few reasonable agencies to work for.
Golden, Owens and Lomond. Steer clear of Wancheng and do us all a favour here. Try not to take too low a salary offer for causual classes. Y80 to Y90 per class (40/50mins) is reasonable so hourly rate should of course be higher.

Getting your Working Visa or any visa for that matter will be your most important issue. Once you have that then you are more likely to pick up private tutoring. Yor girlfriend I'm sure can help find you some private students.

just be sure to bring all you resume details and your ESL quals and experience if you have them. Universities like a degree but don;t pay as well as Middle schools, some of which will also require a degree if you don't have the experience.

There is plenty of work here, but finding what suits you may take a little while. Where is your girlfriend going to study????

It's a little cold and dreary now but I'm sure that won't bother you.

Welcome to Chongqing.

Dec 30, 2005 16:43
  • ZHANGABE
Cool thanks for all the help.

My girlfriend is in Chongqing Medical School. I guess I wont' be going until after the Festival anyways, as my visa won't be ready until after that. But I'll definatly keep looking, and I'll have finished my TEFL coruse by then. All my other teaching experince has been before I got my TEFL. So I'll keep a look out for everything, and thanks for all the help!
Post a Reply to: Work in Chongqing
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code