Menu
banking in China/packing my luggage
Dec 30, 2005 15:26
  • BENGOLDEN
Hi everyone! I have several questions regarding banking and packing regarding my stay in Chongqing. I'll be teaching in China and making money, so I wanted to know the following if anyone can give me any tips...

1) Can I transfer the money I make In Chongqing to my American bank accounts? If so, what is the typical cost of doing so? How do I do it? I have payments to make while I'm abroad and I'd like to make sure I can do it.

2) Can I easily withdraw money from my checking/debit card in Chongqing?

3) Can I use my credit cards?

4) I need to take a 7 months supply of my medication with me...will I be stopped or run into any problems in the airports by having so much medication in my luggage?

5) What do you suggest I pack before heading to Chongqing such as toiletries not available there? Does anyone suggest I bring a lot of clothes or just buy more clothes when I get there? I know the brands differ, but how expensive are most clothes in Chongqing?

6) What are some of the top things that you wish people had told you to pack and what are some of the top things you wish you had known before going to Chongqing?

If anyone has any other tips regarding banking or packing in general then that would be most appreciated. Sorry for all the questions, but if anyone could help me out that would be great...thanks!!!
Dec 30, 2005 16:08
  • WCTMAN
I can answer some of the banking questions for you, since I just went thru this drill myself recently.

1) you can only transfer funds to your home country thru the Bank of China. Go to a major branch, as they are likely to have an English speaker representative there to help you. Bringing along an English speaking Chinese co-worker is a great idea by the way.
2) bring your passport and documentation to support your employment. Such as: a statement from your employer supporting your claim that you are indeed working in China, income statements showing taxes paid and a copy of your work contract.
3) you can transfer up to 5000 US at any one time
4) a fee of 200 RMB / transfer

Hope this helps.

Dec 30, 2005 19:50
  • LEMONCACTUS
Erm... bring deoderant, it's about the only thing they don't have in China. Yes, it's true you can buy it in Beijing and big cities I expect, but if you like a brand from home I'd suggest you bring that, lots of it as it gets pretty hot here. It's the only thing I got my parents to send out.

China has everything the West has in terms of clothes, but cheaper (hugely, if you're willing to shop in markets) though you might find they need replacing a little more often ;)

Enjoy yourself !
Post a Reply to: banking in China/packing my luggage
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code