Menu
Bartering Tips and Debit cards
Jan 1, 2006 21:22
I was wondering if anyone had any tips for bartering in China. I'm not Chinese, and I don't know the language (slowly learning- but it's hard when you're teaching yourself), so obviously I'm a good target for being ripped off by a merchant. Does anyone have any useful info and/or phrases for bringing prices down? Thanks!

Also, do debit cards work at ATMs in China? My bank card has both Maestro and Cirrus, and my LP guide says that the ATMs there use Maestro and Cirrus, yet my friend in Zhuhai insists that bank cards will NOT work.
Jan 2, 2006 08:45
  • JUUGE
Any ideas about the price of such kind of electronic dictionaries? I mean prices in China?

I need a dictionary and this may be a solution to me...

Juuge
Jan 2, 2006 10:58
  • MINDY
I think, and this is my own opinion, that it is imperative that you learn the basic numbers...1-10, 20, 30, etc. That is not hard and you can just practice with someone. Also, you should learn the simple hand signs the Chinese use to designate the numbers 1-10...very useful when bargaining. You will get ripped off wherever you go, but knowing these things will help.

Maybe you should bring around a calculator so you can just show the person your price as well.

As far as ATMs are concerned...I'm sure they are all different. You should always contact your home bank first....1)To ask them if the cards will work overseas and 2) To tell them you are going overseas so they don't put a red flag on your card. I've heard that if you type in just one number wrong of your PIN while overseas, they will cancel your card entirely to counteract card theft/fraud. These are things you must look into before heading off to another country.
Post a Reply to: Bartering Tips and Debit cards
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code