Menu
self drive in china
Jan 5, 2006 12:35
  • LOOT
I intend to visit china with my campervan. Someone told me that foreigners are not permitted to drive in china without being accompanied by a chinese guide.

If this is so how does one accommodate the guide in a vehicle built for two?

Any comments

loot
Jan 6, 2006 20:18
  • JABAROOTOO
You will need a Chinese drivers licence and perhaps one for each province. Hope you have done all your homework.

A few intrepid travellers have riden motorbikes across China to raise money so they may have had "Govt approval?" for this and a valid Chinese licence may not have been necessary.

The main reason you would need a guide is that it is difficult to follow road signs which are written only in Characters or totally lacking altogether in some of the remoter places. Hope you can read and speak Mandarin ??????

What sort of 'spare' parts do you intend to carry if you do any serious damage to your RV? on some of the seriously horrible roads in the country. It's not like there are too many spare parts surpliers for foreign makes of these type of 'luxury' vehicles.

Where do you intend to pull over for the night? There's not too many camping spots around and absolutely none in big cities where driving quite frankly can be a nightmare if you are not familiar with the place, language and tactics.

Free camping might sound like a 'good option' but I wonder if the locals will let you 'camp for free'.

Camping is a pretty new concept in China but there is always room for a first so lets hear your story.

Good luck with your plans. We are all interested in hearing how you go.

Sep 5, 2008 11:54
GUEST79129 Any update on how you got on?
Post a Reply to: self drive in china
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code