Menu
Spring Festival vs Lantern Festival celebrations
Jan 13, 2006 00:53
  • GOT2GO
I'm in Hubei and can't seem to locate any information on events even for Wuhan. I've searched the internet for both Wuhan and Hubei and posted on Wuhan forms to no available. So I will settle for(quite appreciated really) some general information.

Is one festival considered more important or celebrated more than the other? Do shops or sites close for either of them?

Are there usually parades or firworks or certain foods eaten? Do people customarily give gifts or money?

I saw the excellent post by California on Spring Festival and would like more about the Lantern Festival.

Thank you.
Jan 13, 2006 02:27
  • RITA
The Spring Festival is definitely considered more important and celebrated more than the Lantern Festival. But these two are inseparable, we always hear (older) people say the Lantern Festival is the conclusion of the NEW YEAR celebrations, that's true. When I was younger, I always found excuses to escape homework or put away things I did not like. But when the Lantern Festival came, I know I have to "face the music" - started to study hard, etc.

On New Year's Eve/ Day and on the days like the 5th day of the first month of lunar calendar, there are a lot of fireworks (in the cities permitted, of course), mostly those make huge sounds, hehe~, but (I am so sure) I think the fireworks on lantern festival will be very beautiful and not much huge sounds. People (mostly children) carry lanterns walking around- when I was younger, we played the lanterns made by ourselves with candles - but now people would rather buy lantern with batteries, the later ones are more beautiful, but can not experience the fun of making lanterns.

On Lantern Festival, we usually eat Tangyuan (dumplings made by sticky rice filled with stuffings) but on New Year's Day, we eat big dinner and Jiaozi in midnight in North China. People from South China may do not like wheat flour food and eat Tangyuan, too, right?

I was born in North China, and have limited experience living in South China. I hope members here from south China can tell you more about their stories. I am waiting to share!

Enjoy your stay!
Jan 14, 2006 19:23
  • GOT2GO
Thank you for the info. I am in a small city, but have now decided to make reservations to go to Wuhan for that weekend.

I love the idea of laterns. I know where I am at that would be shooting off fireworks (they do every day literally), but I'll make the trek to Wuhan.

I too, look forward to hearing more.
Post a Reply to: Spring Festival vs Lantern Festival celebrations
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code