Menu
help me plan a great 6 day trip!
Jul 17, 2004 22:57
  • MEASH
Hello!

I'm an English teacher in Japan. I have an amazing adventure planned for this summer! I will take the ferry from Osaka to Shanghai next friday. I have a week to travel in China, although I have to be in Beijing on the following thursday to collect train tickets (i'm starting my journey on the transiberian route through mongolia and russia 2 days after that..).

Gosh.. sorry.. I get a bit long winded when I type..

So anyway, I went to the book shop today hoping to buy a lonely planet china book.. Low and behold.. there wasn't one..

Now i'm worried that i'll be so busy getting lost in China, I won't see what I want to see, or other things that I don't know are there..

Basically.. there are a few things I want to see. Shanghai (as I arrive there), The Terracotta warriors (Xian?), the Great Wall (what's the best bit you'd reccommend??), and the forbidden city/tianamen square.

Will I be able to do all that in under a week? Would I be able to visit anywhere else on my journey? (I heard that Suzhou is beautiful..) Will I be able to navigate myself fairly easily without a guide book, only speaking in English?

Mental note.. Plan things more in advance in the future..

Advice please?? :D

meash
Jul 19, 2004 03:55
  • DIDIER
Hi Meash,

I am french and it amazing for me to answer your message, also excuse me for my english. For the advise your request in your mail for a 6 days trip I think the first is to remember the distance in China so going from Shanghai to Xian to Beijing is an excellent idea, but if you want to travel all the time ... I will suggest something like this : in Shanghai the city can be seen in one or two days (Yuyuan, Jade pagode, Bund, jazz at night in Peace Hotel (Heping binguan). Then you go to Suzhou that you mention, perfect for one day you visit one garden and the historical center. Around Shanghai some cities very small can be seen as Tongli, Zouzhang... Then you take the airplane to Beijing to visit the Great Wall or else. As you live in Japan, personnally I won't do it... I would stay in Shanghai (also Pudong to visit) and around, and another hollidays I will go to Beijing wher you can do many things but this is another story.

Hope this help.

Have fun in your trip !!!

Nice for me to talk to you

Didier
Jul 20, 2004 09:36
  • BILLIE
Hi!
If it is not the first time for you to Shanghai, I think you needn't spend more time in Shanghai.

Shanghai (Day 1)
Visit the Bund and Nanjing Road.

Shanghai (Day 2)
Visit the TV Tower of Oriental Pearl, the Shanghai Museum, Jade Buddha Temple and the Yuyuan Garden. And then take flight to Xi'an.

Xi'an (Day 3)
Visit the Terracotta Warriors Museum, Forest of Stone Steles Museum.

Xi'an (Day 4)
Visit the City Wall, the Provincial History Museum and the Great Mosque, and the Big Wild Goose Pagoda. Take the afternoon flight to Beijing.

Beijing (Day 5)
Visit the Tiananmen Square, the Forbidden City and the Temple of Heaven. In addition, Duck Dinner should not be missed:D

Beijing (Day 6)
Visit the Badaling Great Wall, the Sacred Way and the Ming Tombs.

Beijing (Day 7)
Visit the Summer Palace, the Beihai Park and the Lama Temple.

If you have rest time in each place, do taste the local speciality.

Just for your reference, hope it can help:D

Jul 21, 2004 15:59
  • SINGULARITY
Don't forget the travel time...
If you travel by train, which will most likely be during the night, you won't be able to do much the second day since you'll be tired when the train arrives in the early morning. If you travel by plane, your day is pretty much gone because you d be settled in your hotel and it's gonna be at least 1 - 2 in the afternoon.
Jul 21, 2004 18:02
  • MEASH
Thanks for the help guys!
I'm feeling so excited about my trip!

Maybe I should start packing now..

m
Jul 22, 2004 09:12
  • BONITA
Hi,
If I were you, I would travel by train, because you will get many things that you can't imagine. You will meet many hospitable people, make new friends, and has another view of China and Chinese.

Please see the post in
http://community.travelchinaguide.com/forum_search_2.asp?pp=2&i=234

It is some good train experience of others:D

Hope you like:D
Post a Reply to: help me plan a great 6 day trip!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code