Menu
New Year with a BARK!
Jan 29, 2006 01:59
  • BENJAMIN
All,

It will be difficult to fine words to describe the events that took place last night in Chongqing, China.

30, million people in Chongqing province, 1.3 billion Chinese all over the country. All simultaneously letting off fireworks. The turbulent thundering sounds echoed through the streets of the city. From about 6 o'clock; a relentless thunder seemed to build up momentum in the hours counting down to the year of the dog - climaxed in the most spectacular show i have ever been privileged to partake. It doesn't matter how many times i see the Sydney harbour bridge lit up like a Christmas tree. NOTHING; will ever compare to the sight of millions of people of all ages. Letting off their own fireworks. All at the same time! The power of the people and their combined unity to the task at hand was breathtaking...

In between ducking for cover and throwing cherry bombs off the balcony i managed to take some footage. I also managed to shoot some great footage of the scene at street level. Where everything was targeted. The mayhem can only be compare a battle ground where people in apposing sky scrapers pitched dog fight from balcony to balcony. We were hit twice.

I managed to survive with only some 3rd degree burns, however most were self inflicted.

All the best in the year of the dog!!!!!

B

Jan 29, 2006 04:47
  • LEMONCACTUS
Hi Benjamin

I can only echo your words.

I am on the 7th floor with a panoramic view of Benxi City (only 1 million people). The sight of every window hung with a red lantern was amazing enough. Then from 11pm onwards a non-stop display of hundreds, maybe thousands of individual fireworks displays all over the city, near and far.

I'm not ashamed to say I had a bit of a tear in my eye this evening. Extraordinary. One of the most incredible experiences in my life :)

We hung firecrackers on a stick out of the window and nearly burnt our hands off, along with the rest of Benxi, welcoming fortune and frightening off the evil spirits.

I am honoured to have seen just a small city version of Spring Festival.

Guo nian hao!!
Jan 29, 2006 07:24
  • ROGERINCA
Benjamin, I always enjoy reading your posts !!
Your writing style has such Verisimilitude !! :) :)

By the way, whatever happened with the policeman and the other guy in the 'bar fight' !!?? Did other police show up to quiet things down ?? Did you keep drinking ?? HA HA

Happy New Year to you and all the other interesting members on this site !!!
Jan 31, 2006 00:05
  • BENJAMIN

Thank you ROGERINCA. My writing style is best summed up with these simple words. "Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."-- Bible, John 8:32
I would have quoted myself, but, apparently more people read the bible. Thus, it must be substantially more credible than anything i could ever surmise...
The episode in the restrant - best let sleaping dogs lay.
B
Feb 2, 2006 20:03
  • CALIFORNIA
Haha,Benjamin,Lemoncactus and Rogerinca,

Yes!We do it all over the night!And from 11pm,I started to do it,but only last for two hours,I was sleepy!But I can't~~~~~~~~So many fireworks!

I think it means the new year is coming,and the dog year is coming......

Late blessing,Guo Nian Hao!
Feb 3, 2006 21:13
  • CONNY129
it was the first time I play firework at new year eve ,I was a bit frightened at first ,but then quickly enjoy the beautiful scene and thunder :)
lit up a firecracker ,quickly throw it away ,cover my ears with hands ,enjoy the light and cloop ,hahaha!~~
Post a Reply to: New Year with a BARK!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code