Menu
chinese wedding
Feb 1, 2006 08:39
  • PFLAVELLE
what would be suitable clothes for both ladies and gents to wear to a chinese wedding in shanhghai in july
Feb 3, 2006 21:36
  • SIVA
  • Community Moderator
Suit and dress are OK. Don't wear casual clothes which is informal. The color of the clothes are important. Never wear white which is considered to be infelicity during the wedding according to the Chinese tradition. You can wear red, pink, yellow and other colors which are bright and "lucky".
Feb 4, 2006 06:57
  • BARI
I suggest you wear red Chinese traditional dress. You can do this to show your respect to the hosts and Chinese tradition.
***Barry Yu & Exciting Shanghai***
Coming soon, to a Shanghai near you...
http://spaces.msn.com/members/bariyu/
Feb 6, 2006 22:20
  • JABAROOTOO
I personally have found Chinese weddins to be wuite informal in dress. I usually feel way over dressed.

I think you need to consider the socio-economics of your couple and thier families. Many of them have the poorer country cousins and may well be reflected in thier atire, especially the older generations.

But I would reccommend 'smart casual' and be sensitive about the colour choices. You also neet to be comfortable too.

Enjoy the wedding. They are a novel experience.

BTW I've been to 5 and all have been similar in style and dress standards.

Feb 7, 2006 02:06
  • MISHEN
I went to a wedding recently and opted for smart casual - unfortunately, I was the only foreigner present not wearing a tie! All the Chinese guests were in smart casual too. Still, I was the odd one out!
Feb 7, 2006 03:59
  • PEA28COCK
But I guess, you, mishen, must be the most handsome man in the wedding ceremony. :)
Post a Reply to: chinese wedding
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code