Menu
Goodbye Kaili, Hello Fenghuang
Feb 5, 2006 11:06
  • MELISSAWONG
Hello to all the people out there!

I will be travelling from Kaili to Fenghuang. Does anyone know if this can be done? Cos I dont want ot travel back to Guiyang for Fenghuang?

Cheers!
Feb 5, 2006 18:47
  • RITA
I think Jabarootoo could surely help you out on this :-)
She traveled extensively around Guizhou. I am interested in Guizhou, too and hope to travel some day.
Feb 6, 2006 08:18
  • MELISSAWONG
That's a good start. At least someone knows someone who might the answers. Thanks and zillion.

Looking forward to Jabarootoo's advise!
Feb 6, 2006 19:06
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi Melissa,
Glad to hear someone else is travelling that way. Did you contact Louisa while you were in Kaili. She is one of our very helpful members.

Anyway, you take the train from Kaili (contact Louise if you need information or help), there are two a day, about 7 or 7.30 in the morning and the other is 11.30ish departure to the railhead in Yuping. About 2 to 3 hours

We did not go directly to Yuping, but stopped to paddle the Shan Mu River (beautiful) and then hired a taxi to go to Zhenyuan which was also a great little "Old town". You can read up on some of this in 'Genuine Zhenyuan' and 'Glimpses of Guizhou'. We took train again from Zhenyuan to Yuping. All up about Y15 but will be a little more to go direct.

However if you are travelling on your own you may not wish to stop at all these places. Fenghuang is probably more fun for someone on thier own.

From Yuping there is a bus Y20 or Taxi Y25 leave when full for Tongren from the bus station across the street and a 100 hundred meters from the train station. There is not much to Yuping.

If you get the early train from Kaili, You should arrive in Tongren about midday and this will give you plenty of time to get the bus onto Fenhuang. If you take the late train you will need to spend the night in Tongren or be prepared to pay around Y150 for a taxi for approx 1 hour trip. Better to arrive early and travel in the daylight. It was dark when we arrived so it was hard to see accommodation.

On arrival you should be let off near the covered bridge and the East gate. Walk down the left, beside the access to the bridge, turn left and you'll see the East gate. From there go right along the river. Our guesthouse (don't know the name) was on the right past all the restuarants and there was a empty block of land next door. Can't miss it. We paid Y30 per bed with four sharing a private bathroom. Suited us as we were all travelling together. Clean, quiet and close to the action with fee internet.

I'll see if I can upload photo taken from across the river. There are good opporunities to get out to minority villages and the Old Wall while you are here. We didn't but you might like to check them out too.

Hope this is helpful.

How is your Mandarin??

Feb 6, 2006 19:16
  • CALIFORNIA
Hi,Melissawong,

I don't think there was a train from Kaili to Fenghuang,but I am sure there were trains from Kaili to Changsha(the capital of HuNan province),and then you can go to Fenghuang from Chasha.

I haven't been there,maybe it is not a good way!

Good luck!
Feb 6, 2006 19:25
  • CALIFORNIA
From Kaili to Huaihua,it is also viable:-),and then from Huaihua to Fenghuang!
Feb 7, 2006 10:38
  • MELISSAWONG
Wow, that was heaps and heaps of information and certainly would do me good.

Most probably, I will travel directly to Yuping - got a bit to cover in this trip. Will take your advise.

As for guesthouse, probably will stay at the same one if we can't really find another bargain. Understand that there are also another guesthouse - hongqiao kezan @ Y20 per night. Not sure if the information still valid.

Mandarin - suppose I can survive but definitely cannot pass for a local.

Thanks again for your help and may also trouble Louise if I need more information.

GDay!
Nov 18, 2008 01:18
GUEST16223 hi

I am planning a trip to Guilin and Fenghuang next year. I would appreciate your help by responding to my questions so that i can plan my trip early :
1) How to go from Guilin to Fenghuang ? How far is Guilin to Fenghuang ?
2) Do you think that 11 days sufficient for both cities ?
3) When is the best time to visit Guilin and Fenghuang ?
thanks very much
Nov 18, 2008 11:14
  • ELLYSE
1) Train Guilin -- Huaihua (K651/K654 1349--0009, 10h20min, 629 km), then bus Huaihua -- Fenghuang.
2) Yes.
Post a Reply to: Goodbye Kaili, Hello Fenghuang
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code