Menu
Recommended Reading
Feb 6, 2006 21:41
  • JABAROOTOO
I know most of the members and guest here are interested, if not facinated with China and there are some great books out there to read which will give you more personal insight into the history, culture and geography of the great Nation.

Good to read before you travel, while you are traveling and when you return home.

Let's make a list of some of the books we enjoyed the most.

Feb 6, 2006 21:51
  • RITA
My favorite so far:
Six Chapters of Floating Life
by Shen Fu
translated by Lin Yutang

It's a great book to understand China' tradition, cultures, family life, roles that played by husbands and wives, etc, etc...

It is not a BIG book. Lin's translation was great!!

TOP recommended!!
Feb 6, 2006 21:54
  • JABAROOTOO
MAO'S LAST DANCER Li Cunxin Biography
Ballet dancer now married and living in Australia

PIKING James A Michener
An epic novel including the Long March

WILD SWANS Jung Chang

Three generations of family history thru past 100 years

BLACK HORSE ODYSSEY David Harris
One man's obsession to uncover the where abouts of an ancient Roman garrison city deep inside China's borders

RED CHINA BLUE Jan Wong Biaography
Chinese Canadian Student and Journalist in China from early 1970's

THE GOOD WOMEN OF CHINA Xinran
Collection of real short testimony's by radio journalist

CHINA WAKES Nicholas D. Kristoff

Husband and wife team of Journalist to Beijing 1980's. Good factual reporting

RIVER CITY Peter Hessler
Story of his two years in Fuling Teachers College

Feb 6, 2006 21:56
  • JABAROOTOO
Thanks Rita
It's so good for us to read Chinese authors and a good translation is essential.
Feb 6, 2006 22:03
  • RITA
New York Times spoke highly of Mr. Lin Yutang''s literary works. You are about to find out how GREAT his English language skills.

The book is available in book stores all over China. Costs less than 2 us dollars.
Feb 4, 2007 06:10
  • MERY
Hi,

Since I read Red dust: a past through china from MA JIAN I am dreaming to go to Urumqi!

And I loved the books from XINRAN!
Another good one is Balzac and the little chinese seamstress from DAI SIJIE. It`s about books!
Feb 11, 2007 00:10
  • LEMONCACTUS
What a great thread. Two of my favourites have already been mentioned. I love Red Dust and Wild Swans. Did you know that both of these books are still banned in China ???

Rita, the author you mentioned sounds very interesting, I hope I can find some of his works.
Oct 16, 2007 05:34
  • JABAROOTOO
Here's another Epic Title

The River at the Centre of the World by Simon Winchester

I think the title says it all.

He visited Chongqing again late last year to research another book he is writing about and I had the pleasure of attending a get together where he shared a little about the above tiltle and the new book. It really is a buzz to meet the author but I hadn't heard of his book back then. I'm happy to report that I am more that halfway through reading it now. Just passed through Chongqing today although rather too quickly I thought. Never mind. It is a great read especially when having been to so many of the places that he features.
Oct 16, 2007 22:41
  • SPIKYFRUIT
i recommend "a chinese-english dictionary for lovers" by xiaolu guo. written in english, about a contemporary chinese girl who moves to england.
i'm really looking forward to "wild swans"-- just found in a book shop in guangzhou last week. i'm also looking to read a few things by su tong ("raise the red lantern", "my life as an emperor")
can anybody recommend any GOOD nonfiction about the long march and the founding of the prc? something engaging and maybe not too biased one way or the other?
Oct 18, 2007 23:31
  • DAVEC
BLACK HORSE ODYSSEY David Harris, sounds like the sort of book I would read. Any suggestions on where to buy as amazon.co.uk are listing paperback at £35.99 plus postage and used one sold on ebay for over £80
Oct 19, 2007 04:01
  • LEMONCACTUS
Wow. Black Horse Odyssey is a book in demand!

I just want to flag up a book I'm currently reading (non-fiction) called 1421 by Gavin Menzies. It's not new but it's an absolutely fascinating thesis on China discovering the world long before all the big historical names we "accept" as the great explorers... (Cook, Columbus etc)
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Recommended Reading
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code