Menu
money change problems
Feb 7, 2006 05:22
  • GOT2GO
My sis was visiting me and we went to Yangshuo. The place recommend valuables be placed in their safe because they said there were many pickpockets.

Unfortunately my sis put the US currency she would need for the train ride home in the states in the safe. Everything was in the bag but the US currency.

We went to the bank to see about getting US currency for the RMB I had and were told they could not because it was illegal. We tried 4 banks in two different cities.

Out of curiosity, is there something we missed? Excluding credit card withdrawl which wasn't an option. We were departing at the time and all this is water under the bridge, but if something like this were to happen to someone...
Feb 8, 2006 08:24
  • MISHEN
Maybe I shouldn't say this, but at the Friendship store foreign exchange counter in Beijing, they'll change RMB to USD without any questions whatsoever - every time I've tried so far...

Feb 8, 2006 18:44
  • GOT2GO
Thanks for the tip on the Friendship store. I know when I went to the airport I had to have the exchange receipt to get back US currency.

She was unfortunately arriving in the US when places were closed (I experienced that in Beijing and had to wait three hours to exchange money) and then she had to catch a train. She had to have someone come out to get her.

I guess I never thought about that kind of emergency happening.
Post a Reply to: money change problems
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code