Menu
Valentine's Day
Feb 9, 2006 00:55
  • PEA28COCK
Although Valentine's Day is of western birth, it is almost universally accepted by all the young Chinese. It will definitely remind someone of sweet and romantic memories. It is a day for lovers. Rose and chocolate are indispensable. :)

Happy Valentine's Day, guys!

Feb 9, 2006 02:43
  • CALIFORNIA
Yes,the rose was very expensive!So I think we should buy it the day before valentine's day:-)

Feb 9, 2006 03:41
  • MAY001
Valentine's Day are more and more popular in China. But we should also remember the Chinese Valentine's Day: 7th July, the Chinese calendar.

Wish u all have a happy valentine!
Feb 9, 2006 18:56
  • PEA28COCK
Yes, I totally agree with California that rose is much more expensive than that in usual days.

But here I have a question, why do people choose rose to express love? :)
Feb 9, 2006 21:07
  • CONNY129
it mostly like a kind of tradition ,just like we choose dove to express peace ,it is hard to find the root reason
Feb 9, 2006 21:23
  • PEA28COCK
'tradition'?! It seems that it is a kind of good explanation, right? But have you noticed that so many things nowdays are explained as 'tradition(s)'? In my opinion to some extent such answers show people's lack of knowledge. :(
Feb 9, 2006 21:37
  • CONNY129
yeah , I don't know why we choose rose to express love ,it must have some historical reason that I've never heard :( just as I don't know why we regard ourselves as the offsprings of dragon
Feb 10, 2006 00:20
  • PEA28COCK
It is true that still there are so many things that we have no idea about. Therefore we can never stop to learn. :)
Feb 10, 2006 00:29
  • CONNY129
yup ,never too old to learn :P
Feb 10, 2006 02:02
  • CALIFORNIA
Maybe western or foreigners know that reason.

We choose dove to express peace,the reason for a story in Holy Bible---Noah's Ark.
Feb 10, 2006 03:56
  • MISHEN
Haha - there's some interesting things about the history of Valentine's day you might like to know.

It's based on the Roman feast of Lupercalia, on which day men and women who didn't know each other were paired randomly for feasting and for naughty games. The name "February' comes from the word 'febris' which means 'passionate fever', and that comes from the feeling of this sexy festival...

St Valentine was chosen by the church to be the representative for this romantic day to change the festival into a Christian one - but for centuries, lovers were still paired by random exchange of cards, like a lottery or game - not by their choice! In some places, these pairs would become boyfriend and girlfriend for one year - marrying if the relationship was successful.

It used to be that both man and woman had to exchange gifts on that day, but a couple of hundred years ago, this was changed to make only the man give a gift - so the men, angry about giving expensive gifts to strangers, started only giving them to women they chose.

In America, men delivered Valentine's letters by hand because postage was too expensive! Maybe American guys are just not romantic...

But why roses? Simple - for centuries, each different colour of different kinds of rose has been made to represent a different meaning. Yellow is for friendship. White is for purity or secrecy. Pink is for happiness. And red? Passionate love. Sending a red rose on Vaentine's day means one thing - I LOVE YOU!

Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Valentine's Day
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code