Menu
chopsticks
Feb 13, 2006 01:26
  • CALIFORNIA
Yes,Rita,

The same to you,and I found some parents threw the chopsticks to the children when they were mischief during the dinner.

Terrible~~~~~~
Feb 13, 2006 01:28
  • MISHEN
Almost every foreigner I know who has trouble with chopsticks is very shy about it.

Sometimes, to cover their embarrassment, they make jokes and pretend to play the drums with them on their rice bowl - is that extremely rude?

Feb 13, 2006 01:54
  • CONNY129
the usage:
First, hold the upper stick like a pen with your thumb and middle finger. Second, take the lower one with the thumb and set it on the ring finger. Finally, try to move the two sticks and pick up your favorite dish.

Feb 13, 2006 02:03
  • CONNY129
oh ,it is not good to drum or tap bowls and plates with chopsticks especially when you are a guest, because people believe that is the humble behavior of beggars when they beg for food and it shows your disrespect to the chef :(
Feb 13, 2006 02:09
  • MAZPHD
i love all the chopstick advice! and yes am now eating EVERYTHING
here in the uk with chopsticks, which when i went out for curry the
other night did make me look quite mad! especially as i had bought
my own chop sticks with me! - well York could do with some level
of sophistication haha! i got some strange looks!

and am going to persevere and be an 'expert' by the time my trip
comes round in april -

ps how on earth do you eat peas, mung beans etc with chopsticks!
absolute nightmare! but fun !
Feb 13, 2006 02:27
  • RITA
Well, since you asked...
I am always having the feeling that using chopsticks really involves not only a kind of skill, but also the tradition and culture of China. Huh~ if you think I am exaggerated, you may be right:-), don't be too serious, anyway.

Using chopsticks needs a lot of patience, you have to bear "golden mean" in mind all the time, picking peanuts, mung beans or the similar is not the most difficult thing, how about picking a piece of very tender tofu or even quail eggs?
You can't do it pressing too hard or too gentle, be calm and patient... , you have one way to do it the best, one step before/ ahead will crush the delicious food it might skip into others pants...

When you pick up a piece of tender tofu or quail eggs as easily as you pick up a piece of celery, you feel you are VERY China.:-)
Feb 13, 2006 08:36
  • DRACULA
Chinese find chopsticks very useful. But it can be troblesome when you pick something and it drops onto the table or on to your clothes. Westerners find chopsticks cute. They tried to learn to use it. What for?
Page 2 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: chopsticks
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code