Menu
Travel Photography: Film or Digital?
Feb 12, 2006 19:00
  • SABERXLCR
I really enjoy the wonderful and varied photos that are posted on this site and compliments to all the great photographers! The questions: are you using digital or film cameras? And, what do you recommend using when you travel?

Feb 13, 2006 01:01
  • CALIFORNIA
I use a digital one,and it is easy to operate,and save a lot!!!You can delete the bad pics!

I just heard that some professional photographers use the film one!!!

I recommend a digital one!!!
Feb 13, 2006 04:26
  • JABAROOTOO
Digital is great if you have the camera. Good idea to have two cards even if the second is just a small one.

If you do happen to fill your cards you can walk into almost any photo shop to have your photos copied to CD. Should cost you no more than Y10 or as little as Y5

Scanned photos from film are not too good but I have used them on occasion because I did my first year in China before I bought a digital.

You can digitize your film while it is being processed but this would probably mean carrying all your film home. I don't know if it can be done in China.

Perhaps someone can tell us.
Feb 13, 2006 07:29
  • ROGERINCA
Yes, the photos on this site mostly are, very enjoyable and meaningful !!! Moreover, with respect to format, arguments can be made for both....it all depends on what you want to accomplish and what is the end purpose. Most of the ‘debate’ and hype these days, is generated by magazines and camera companies, with an agenda to sell more magazines and more (continually advancing) digital cameras.
Film has a huge advantage in recording highlights, and reproducing a broader range of color. This is important for wild landscapes, deep red objects and flowers. However, most smaller digital prints from your local Wal-Mart or other discount outlets, look better today, than yesterday’s [from film] prints, because most mass film processing systems inherently have so much variance in quality. Film does, however, remain king for very large prints (larger than 8x10) and commercial/artistic reproduction where textures in nature and landscapes are essential and where the chemical processing of negative and print is controlled and customized.

Having said that, and looking away from issues that only the 'purists' may debate, digital is far more convenient and offers great quality and ease of use, for ‘everyday’ photos and photojournalistic applications. For most of us here at this site, digital is far more convenient when shooting hundreds of images, making prints that are smaller and for posting on websites and e-mail. Moreover, as already discussed, size, weight, storage, and the ability to instantly discard unwanted shots, are all positive factors with respect to digital, for those of us who travel.

Another anecdotal factor to be considered when thinking about potential future investment in format (which I noticed just this past evening at my local discount store) is that the shelf space and product variety/choices for photographic film, has quickly shrunk down to almost nothing, in comparison to shelf space and choices for digital products and supplies. Also, thanks to China, and their mass-marketing partners, such as Wal-Mart, the prices of digital cameras and supplies continue to become more affordable here in America, and I assume elsewere in the world.

By the way, and only my humble opinion, it is so much more enjoyable discussing and reading an issue such as this, rather than that of, dissecting the cultural and social aspects of spitting in public :) :)
Feb 13, 2006 17:20
  • DRACULA
We have some very nice pictures posted here and some disgusting ones as well. Good pictures we admire. Bad pictures we spit on them. Many bad pictures are creeping in now. People ... speak up!
Feb 13, 2006 19:39
  • SABERXLCR
I was not surprised seeing all the responses for 'digital'. The last time I was in Hong Kong, Customs gave me grief for having two cameras: one digital and one film/SLR - keep in mind when going to China!

ROGERINCA thanks for that great post - nice to see a fellow that still appreciates Film as I do!

Also, in response to copyrights and image tags (WOCCA): Long ago I used to be 'professional' and the last place I would post any of my work that I wished to protect is the Net. Not one country enforces copyright.
Feb 16, 2006 14:40
  • SABERXLCR
WOCCA, That is a nice camera!

I will see if I can find the instructions for you in English from over here as it is sold in Canada also.

They should have an informative section on parallax error in it somewhere too ;-}

Feb 16, 2006 18:38
  • CONNY129
I perfer digital ,but the battery goes flat quickly :( I have to consider buy an extra one :(
Feb 16, 2006 21:13
  • SABERXLCR
Conny129, this may not work, but if you have an older camera; when the battery is dead put it in the freezer overnight. When it is room temperature the next day, charge it again and you may find that it is as good as new!

Sometimes a battery gets a 'memory' and a simple way to fix this is to let it freeze.

Hope it works for you!
Feb 16, 2006 21:16
  • CONNY129
oops , great !!
but what is the proper temperature to make it freeze ? do I have to put it into fridge over night ?
Feb 16, 2006 21:22
  • SABERXLCR
Conny129: not the fridge, the Freezer. Cold like Harbin in January! lol Below 0'C.

Keep it there for eight hours. Then let it reach room temperature and recharge it.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Travel Photography: Film or Digital?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code