Menu
Being lost in Tianjin is endless entertainment.
Jul 27, 2004 18:06
  • INTIANJIN
With my trusty McDonald's umbrella and soaking wet feet I managed to walk 5.5 hours from god knows where to my home in Wang Ding Di.

My girlfriend ditched me in the middle of nowhere in some remote area I've never been to while it poured down rain for 2-3 hours.

I walked thru gigantic muddy construction sites, thru dark swampy village side streets, and thru creepy late night entertainment whore localities.

After navigating a maze of narrow village roads I came to a main street. I stopped at the first shop and asked where my home was 'Wang ding di zai nar'. Three pretty girls sat inside. The leader offered me a massage. 'bu bu. xei xei.' I replied, no thanks. With arms flailing to gesture direction and much chinese chatter my destined route was set. I was to continue walking the direction I was going.

In my journey as I hummed a song in my head and twirled my umbrella I came across an accident scene. I saw a man holding a bloody hand so I walked over to him. Split like a squished orange and covered with blood; the poor man's hand was the center of everyone's attention as he sat against the side rail. I reached into my pocket and pulled out some KFC napkins and a plastic bag and did some quick work. I wish I spoke chinese so I could have done more.

I continued on humming my song and walked a couple more blocks until I got that feeling I wasn't on the yellow brick road anymore. I looked around from the junction I stood at and all directions except the one I came from seemed to go off into endless dark night. I started asking shops where my home was 'wang ding di zai nar'. One drew a map, one muttered on for 5 minutes about how long the distance was, one did direction gestures but most had no idea what Wang Ding Di was. I was hoping I was getting closer. By this time I'd been walking for 3.5 hours without once seeing a familiar sign.

<continued in next message>
Jul 27, 2004 18:07
  • INTIANJIN
As I walked down one street with local pubs on it I gazed up and saw what appeared to be UFO lights.. upon closer inspection it was the Tianjin TV & Radio Tower! Hooray! I have no clue where I live from there but atleast I recognized it.

I headed in its direction. I stopped some walkers here and there asking 'Wang Ding Di zai nar.' Non knew where it was. After I asked my last walker I cross the street to read the road sign and there written in brilliant white on a lovely traffic sign green back ground was 'Wang Ding Di Qaio'. Homebound I was! While smiling and in peace I walked along the sidewalk and on the grass where ever I saw it (because my feet hurt so much).

There was a traffic accident ahead. A police cruiser was pulling away and a car with a passenger was being loaded onto a truck. I watched closely as I neared. The passenger in the car opened his door and got out. He failed to notice he was 5 feet up off the ground and fell to the pavement. I jumped thinking he could have been seriously injured but then he got up and dusted himself off.

I followed the road signs for a few more kilometres and finally found myself in my familiar home. I walked up all 14 flights of stairs to my apartment. Opened the door and there smiling was my girlfriend.

She was trying to be all nice and innocent. I handed her my umbrella, walked past, and fell onto my bed. She said she had phoned the police and asked them to keep an eye out for me to which I replied, 'phone them back and tell them I'm home.'. 5.5 hours gives you alot of time to think about the person who just left you stranded.

Aside from my feet and leg pain, I quite enjoyed my adventure. I can't go anywhere today because I can't walk too far but when I can I'm going to see alot more of the city.
Post a Reply to: Being lost in Tianjin is endless entertainment.
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code