Menu
safety in yunnan, guilin
Feb 19, 2006 11:51
  • VIOLETJ
Hi,

I am planning on traveling through Guilin and Yunnan province this coming spring. I am an asian female who speaks mandarin so I am not worried about the language barrier, but I am a little concerned about safety traveling alone. Can anyone share some personal experiences traveling alone in that part of china? How safe do you feel and what suggestions do you have?

Thanks!
Jenny
Feb 20, 2006 06:32
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi Violet,

I'm Australian and speak Mandarin poorly but have travelled quite a bit on my own in China. While this is not my preference I just have to do it sometimes.

You have two advantages over most of us. You will not draw too much attention to yourself and you can communicate well. I've travelled alone in Guiazhou, Guangxi, Guangdong and Zhejiang to mention a a few places

Just take normal security precautions and you should have a great time. Around Guilin you will find lots of other travellers who you can team up with and perhaps be a very useful companion. Yunnan is on of the best places to travel and again you are likely to meet other like minded travellers to spend some time with.

Have a good time
Feb 20, 2006 19:29
  • MAY001
China is one of the most safe countries in the world. Don't worry.
Feb 20, 2006 20:21
  • ETHNICEAST
in any case, take precaution as suggested. do your homework in checking out the places, hygiene, police and dont try to go for very cheap places or food, bring enough fund to holiday and use whatever wisdom your folks have taught you.

Feb 21, 2006 15:33
  • STEPHEN
This is not true! China is now very dangerouse! The Police will do nothing to help a tuirist! Gangs are every where. be carfull at night. no chinese will help you,when 5 chinese men attack you. western girls,do not travel alone! violence aginst forieners is going up every yeat now.criminals split the robbery stuff with the police.My suitcase was taken at the train dock from rite behind me and the criminals ran away rite past a train guard. he would not even look at me as I was yelling and pointing. I had 3 suitcases.I had to stay with my remaining 2. never travel with more than you can carry easily. Stephen in DaQing.
Feb 21, 2006 18:47
  • SABERXLCR
Hi!

A good friend of mine used to travel alone and she told me that this was a great bit of information:

http://www.voyage.gc.ca/main/pubs/her_own_way-en.asp

It is off a Canadian government website, if you have trouble accessing it, message me and I can forward it to you.

Feb 21, 2006 20:52
  • ETHNICEAST
i guess i can only speak for yunnan and nearby provinces.

Feb 21, 2006 20:54
  • SIVA
  • Community Moderator
Hi VIOLETJ,
This topic has been discussed by many passionate members before. You can check this for details:
http://community.travelchinaguide.com/forum2.asp?pp=2&i=19153&p=1#top

Of course, if you have any further questions, don't hesitate to let us know.

All the best,
Siva
Feb 22, 2006 09:10
  • JABAROOTOO
It's safe. Just be cautious like you would any where you might travel worldwide but especially in crowded places like bus and train stations and it is a good idea to travel as light as you can so that you can safely take care of all your belongings. Be sure that your passport and valuables are inside your clothing and one thing I always do is carry two wallets. One with a small amount of cash for general daily use so that I am not going for my main cash stash in public places where potential thiefs might see.

Of course you won;t look like a foreigner will you?
Post a Reply to: safety in yunnan, guilin
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code