Menu
Can we live without a cellphone?
Feb 20, 2006 03:17
  • CONNY129
almost everyone own a cell phone in China , when each one hold a cell phone in hand but you don't,it may lose your face .
Feb 20, 2006 03:30
  • MAY001
The communication is becoming more and more convenient. At least, we don't need to suffer lovesickness~~
Feb 20, 2006 08:36
  • CALIFORNIA
Haha,May!!!Is it your experience???
Feb 20, 2006 09:09
  • SABERXLCR
What a great post Rita!

I am travelling the mainland and what a good idea: to have a phone there with me - what would it cost me to purchase a phone/or can you rent them?

Here is a photo of my first type of cell phone I owned (its not me in the photo, Im less cute!)

Feb 20, 2006 18:49
  • RITA
Many Chinese have connect cellphone with "fashion", "taste", "social status", "rich or not" ...

To SABERXLCR,
That's a good idea to get a cellphone to keep in touch with your family when you are travelling. Cellphone prices are varies widely, you can buy one at from a few hundreds yuan(CNY) to many thousands yuan..., I have no idea where you can rent one. Actually I don't think there are people run that business in China, everybody has his/her own cellphone, I've never heard people rent cellphones
Feb 20, 2006 19:09
  • MAY001
Hi, Cali, you are right. That's my own experience. But I still always miss handwriting letters...
To SABERXLCR,
buy a cellphone is not a difficult thing in China. And also not expensive at all.
Feb 20, 2006 19:33
  • RITA
To SABERXLCR,

Or you don't have to buy a cellphone in China, I saw foreign travelers using their own mobile phone taken from home. It's easy to get a SIM card...
Anyone here can offer some details?
Feb 20, 2006 19:41
  • CONNY129
if his phone is quad band ,it can be used in any other countries.
for example ,if you use Moto V600 in your country , it is no problem you can use it here . SIM card can be easily and cheaply got in China ,no need to worry about it at all.
Feb 20, 2006 19:46
  • RITA
Thank you, Conny for your professional and practical comments. :)
Feb 20, 2006 22:02
  • ROGERINCA
Yes, Conny is correct about the Quad-Band phones, and also some (very few) of the Tri-Band phones have the 900 freq’ used throughout China.

As far as rentals, Rita is correct, I am not aware of any rentals within China. There are a few internet based rental companies HQ’d in the USA, which will complete the transaction on-line and ship the phone to you via Fed-Ex, as long as you have a credit card and pay a deposit. However, I have been through all of this prior to my first trip to China, three years ago, and I ran the numbers (cost/usage/benefit analysis) and they can be a little pricey !! Therefore, the best bet by far, is to just purchase a phone, if you do not already have the 900 freq’ on your existing phone. This is especially true if you plan on multiple trips to China over the next year or two, as it will soon pay for itself in rental charge savings and the higher call cost per minute with the rental agreements.

If your existing phone in not 900 band compatible, I would then just purchase the most inexpensive single 900 band phone I could find in China, at one of the many phone stores located in most major Chinese cities. Even an older model that does not have all the ‘bells and whistles’ might be discounted and will work just fine for your needs while traveling in China. I found a little no-frills Nokia 2100, for cheap, in Nanning, and it has worked for me for the last three years.

Last, you can purchase the China SIM card at one of the numerous phone stores in China, along with the additional minute recharge cards. As an alternative, there is a very nice and reliable Chinese man, living in America, who sells them on e-Bay for a very reasonable price and will ship quickly to you. I have used his services for my China-Mobile SIM and phone card needs this past trip to China, in December. Just put “Guangzhou SIM card” in the e-Bay search engine, and it should hit to his site. What I liked about buying the SIM ahead of time, was that I knew what my phone number was before I left home for China, and thus was able to provide it to friends and family, ahead of my trip. A little education and research in this regard, will save you a lot of money in service charges and per-minute call costs.
Page 2 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Can we live without a cellphone?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code