Menu
New to board - visiting Suzhou questions
Feb 23, 2006 14:07
  • WILLOWTREE59
ni hao, board! I'm visiting Suzhou on business next week. I've been there once before, last November. Last time I was part of a group who spoke Chinese, this time I am on my own.

I will have two days to sightsee - last time all I saw was the road from Gloria Plaza Hotel to the Industrial Park! With two weekend days, waht are the "must-see" attractions in Suzhou? The gardens look lovely in the pictures posted here. What else? Tiger Hill? I'm also interested in any cultural events such as folk music or dance, or local festivals and anything else that will show me "real" China ways and customs.

Also, for shopping, are there any reputable antique dealers in Suzhou? If not, I may have a day in Shanghai before I leave - any recommendations for antiques there? Where to go, where NOT to go?

One last question - as I do not speak Chinese, what are the best restaurants in Suzhou where I can either read a menu, see pictures, or have someone speak English? I really do not want to go to "Western" restaurants, the last time I was there I fell in love with traditional Suzhou food. Thank you in advance!
Feb 23, 2006 20:20
  • RITA
The the Humble Administrator's Garden, the TIger Hill, the Canglang Pavilion, the Garden of the Master of the Nets and the Lingering Garden, all worthwhile for visits, especially, do not miss the Humble Administrator's Garden, it is the best.

If you have chance to go to Shanghai, I think you should you, no matter if there are 'reputable antique dealers ' in Suzhou or not. The two cities are so close to each other, Shanghai deserve sometime if it's your first time.

I don't know if there are restaurants with English menus, but I am sure the restaurants in star-rated hotels do. I don't think street snacks provide English meuns. Maybe people here with more travel experiences can share more...
Feb 23, 2006 20:29
  • MAY001
Han Shan Temple is also a good choice! I think there are still Suzhou Ping Tan, a kind of local zarzuela, showing everyday.
Feb 23, 2006 21:32
  • ELLYSE
My top picks would be Tiger Hill, Master-of-Nets Garden, Lion Grove and Coiled Gate (Pan Men). You might also like to catch a performance of Suzhou pingtan (storytelling; the lousy samples in the gardens don't count!) or traditional opera.
When will you be in Suzhou? I guess I wouldn't mind coming along to help you out with the sightseeing and food-ordering, if you like. I'm currently studying in Shanghai.
Feb 24, 2006 10:05
  • WILLOWTREE59
"Thank you" everyone! (Is it "sheh sheh" or something close?)

I have managed to convince a Chinese coworker to visit the gardens and temples next Saturday with me. I am so looking forward to the food. The dumplings and steamed vegetables are so good there, as well as the prawns and other seafood. And the tea! I would like to try street snacks as well but I'm a little concerned about getting sick. In general, so long as the food is cooked well and I bring my own chopsticks is eating the street vendor food safe for us foreigners with delicate bellies? ;-)

I'll be visiting the Humble Administrator's Garden, Master of Nets, Lingering Garden, and Tiger Hill on next Saturday. Maybe Sunday I will be able to get someone to go to Zhouzhang with me. My hotel is right by the Pan Men Gate, I believe I can walk there.

Where can I see Suzhou pingtan? It is storytelling? Sounds lovely.

And possibly I may have time for Shanghai the day before I leave, but I will for sure be on my own there.

How is the weather in Suzhou this time of year? I hear from my coworkers there "cold" but where I am from most of the winter is under 0 degrees C.

Thank you so much for all your help.
Feb 24, 2006 20:13
  • ELLYSE
Yes to bringing your own chopsticks if they'll help give you peace of mind.
Are you staying at the Sheraton? It's made up to look like a city wall to start with, looked pretty good from the outside but of course I didn't have a chance to get to see the inside! If you're there you should be able to walk to the Coiled Gate.
I had the details on where to see Suzhou pingtan, but unfortunately don't have the info on hand. :( Maybe your Chinese co-worker can help!
I think the temperature is a bit above 0 degrees Celsius, or a bit warmer if you're lucky.
Post a Reply to: New to board - visiting Suzhou questions
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code