Menu
National Characteristics/Pecularities
Feb 28, 2006 02:42
  • PINETREE

i think the people of a country has its own characteristics & pecularities in behaviour and habits.
For example - my own country - we have developed this characteristic called "kiasu-ism". It literally means "afraid to lose" - we want to be the 1st in everything ; we want to be involved in everything ; we need to take extra precaution.
As an illustration : we need 2 clocks on alarm to wake us up ; we start education at the age of 3 ; we need tuition when in kindergarten ; our parents start planning for our career the day we were borne ( or even earlier ! ).
Any observation on this and views please ?
Feb 28, 2006 08:53
  • PINETREE
Surely there must be some comments/views from this particular USAmerican friend of mine in China. This is a chance to speak up.
Feb 28, 2006 16:19
  • DONHFRASER
Hi Pinetree

Good topic, Iam surprised you have had so little coment, people seem to pick up on the trivia rather than fact. In the UK this was the case in the late 18th Century, nowadays life seems to be so fine why bother educating yourself or family. The USA went through a similar phase in the mid/late 20th Century.
One part of the world rapidly expands then setles then becomes complacent. A new starter emerges and takes over and so it goes on. Who ios next after China. Is ther a limit to learning and invention?

Do you agree?
Feb 28, 2006 18:09
  • DRACULA
I thought your friend is Australian.

Anyway, I think in China it is like "make more money" or "we don't want to marry"
Feb 28, 2006 19:23
  • PINETREE

Author: DONHFRASER | -General- | 2006-02-28 16:19:00 GMT-6
Reply this discussion Reply Back to Discussion list Back
Hi Pinetree

Good topic, I am surprised you have had so little coment, people seem to pick up on the trivia rather than fact. In the UK this was the case in the late 18th Century, nowadays life seems to be so fine why bother educating yourself or family. The USA went through a similar phase in the mid/late 20th Century.
One part of the world rapidly expands then setles then becomes complacent. A new starter emerges and takes over and so it goes on. Who ios next after China. Is ther a limit to learning and invention?

Do you agree? UNQUOTE

Indeed, this is the cycle of nature. It is all about balance. One goes up, the other comes down. It was China, Middle-east, then Europe and currently USAmerica. I suppose China is wrangling the balance to tilt towards her. India will hopefully come in the help the cause. Maybe one day it will be Africa's turn.
Never mind the lack of participation here. U need a good exposure to participate in this thread. Don't ut hink so ? Hahaha !!

=====================

Dracula - is that so ? My friend here is Australian. Am sorry - a bit muddle-headed - thot he was USAmerican. ANyway, it makes no difference to me. Hahaha !!
Feb 28, 2006 20:01
  • PINETREE

Some of my observations :-
USAmericans -
(a) esp the men walk as if their armpit hair is too stiff.
(b) They like to wear their baseball caps backside out because they prefer to shade the back of their heads where their eyes are.
Hongkongers - talk loudly
Indians - talk with the help of their heads.
Taiwanese- tend to yell
Singaporeans - always in a rush, even when eating & talking.
Post a Reply to: National Characteristics/Pecularities
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code