Menu
Economic Progress - China vs India
Feb 28, 2006 19:32
  • PINETREE

China has started her economic reforms for about 20 yrs and is progressing so well that not unsurprisingly it draws the envy of many countries. I suppose this reflects poorly on India the other huge country with as long a long history as China.
Just recently the Indian Trade/Foreign Minister visited my country and announced the arrival of India. "In 5 years' time, you will not hear of SHanghai anymore. U will only hear of Mumbai".
Brave words. But if indeed India embarks on similar economic reforms and put their minds to its objective, I believe that she can achieve much success too.
The big question in most people's minds however is whether India can progress as well as China.
What do you think ? Do you think that Shanghai will be eclipsed by Mumbai in the near future ?
Feb 28, 2006 19:35
  • CALIFORNIA
It is a dream of Mumbai.
Feb 28, 2006 23:10
  • ROGERINCA
Pinetree, you have such interesting threads !!! You have become so very much, the prolific writer!!!

All I will say for now, is that Shanghai will always be Shanghai !!! It has a certain ‘magic‘, like so many other places in China !! The Americanism would be: It’s like comparing Apples to Oranges !!!! Mumbai vs. Shanghai !!! And, yes Calif, one can always ‘dream’ !!!??? My dream is China !!! :) :)
Mar 1, 2006 00:14
  • CALIFORNIA
For China and India,the two largest population coutries.We have to develope together.

Maybe Mumbai can become indian Shanghai!!!

Yes,Roger,My dream was in California:-)
Mar 1, 2006 00:20
  • PINETREE
India has a long history and her people are intelligent too. They are able to match other superpowers in military techno etc. Their "silicon valley" is quite reknown int he world. They are beginning to expoprt "talents" overseas as well - there are quite an influc into Singapore over the last few years.
But what is holding them back to do better and why do I personally feel that India will not progress as far & as fast as China - even if both were to take off from the starting blocks at the same time.
Will reveal my views later - hahaha !
In the meantime, what about our Indian members ? Don't u have anything to comment on this pl ?
Mar 2, 2006 05:37
  • PINETREE

I thought this should be an interesting thread for members to participate. Unfortunately, I was wrong.
In that case, there is no need for me to give my analysis of the situation.
Mar 2, 2006 06:24
  • ROGERINCA
Pinetree,

No-No-No !!! Don't give up on this one !! :) :)

This is a very interesting and intellectual thread !! I was sincerely looking forward to [your] thoughts on this ??

China and India both, have so much brain power, current and future potential and large populations; yet there are marked differences in the culture, the society, and daily life. Therfore, there is a resulting impact on how each of these nations is perceived by the rest of the world, and which will be most dominate, fifty years from now ??

Moreover, there is a very direct nexus, with travel and tourism, too !! :) :)

Yes, this is a very interesting thread !!
Mar 2, 2006 06:39
  • PINETREE
Thank you, Roger. U are encouraging.
Mar 2, 2006 20:26
  • PINETREE

"In 5 years' time, people will be talking of Mumbai not Shanghai".

Case of China
========
- the Communist dynasty is an extension/ continuation of the central power of emperorship which the entire Chinese system has been geared to over the last 2000-3000 yrs.
- people are intelligent without much to hold them back - ie they can be focussed.
- people are proud & united via the central govt & has a common culture & language.
- generally not followers of any religion which tends to hamper economic progress.
- culture encourages loyalty, self-development & hardwork to achieve success.

Case of India
========
- has been a country of nations quite each having its own culture, languages & lifestyles.
- has been a British colony in recent history. Under British rule, it was "divide and rule", intentionally keeping all indian states apart.
- unified as a full country only when conquered by Britain in the 18th century. Politcally unified only when she gained independence since 1947 but with her 2 kidneys - present day Pakistan/ Bangladesh - removed from her by Britain. Thus about 2000 yrs politically behind China.
- political difference/disharmony exist within present day India. There is a Communist state in India whilst the rest of country practices democracy.
- social differences due to the deeply-rooted caste system which is still being eradicated.
- Loyalty in doubt - Indians adore the fair-skinned. Some Indian still practise English traditions/habits and are more English than the English - exception, maybe the Punjabis.
- Religion - probably the country that produces the most religions. Indians are peaceful people that tend to be religious & they prefer to prepare for their next life than their present life.

So despite her long history, having a huge coastline & intelligent people, the economic/political progress of India will not be able to match that of China. It is a country blessed with natural resources but a huge ratio gap between the rich and poor. Many believe that India should've turned to communism to restructure the entire country once and for all ( a separate thread on Communism ? ) to move forward quickly.
The fact that she is shockingly not a permanent member of the UN Security Council & has no veto power in the UN (when she is 1 of the largest country in the world & 2nd largest in term of population) is an endorsement of her current position in the world.
The answer to these 2 - she was a merely British colony until about 60 yrs ago.

Do you agree ??

Mar 2, 2006 20:41
  • PINETREE

Wocca - ???
Mar 2, 2006 20:48
  • CALIFORNIA
I think every country plays a role in the world,there were leading actors and supporting roles.

For example,Russia,USA,France,Britian,China,they play important roles in the world.

I think India should play the leading actor in South Asia at first,and then become the role in the global.

Page 1 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Economic Progress - China vs India
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code