Menu
Travelling to Shanghai in May
Mar 30, 2004 15:44
  • SUSIE
We are going to Shanghai in May and would like to travel to some of the surrounding towns/cities such as Hangzhou, Wuxi, maybe Xian. (Have done Suzhou last year when on a cruise into Shanghai)

We are interested in booking individual tour, but don't want to just do pagoda after pagoda, we'd like to see more of the real China. Can we do it on our own by train or is this too hard? Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
Mar 30, 2004 15:46
  • RELLIK
Hi there...
When i visited Shanghai last December, I took a domestic flight to Xi'an for 3 days before touring Shanghai. U know, they say that if u don't see the terracotta solidiers in china, u have never really seen china...well personally i feel that it was worth the trip to Xi'an. I took a "roadside" tour package for 45rmb and they took me to 6 different places including the terracotta. Admisson fees to the places are not covered and it worked out to 185rmb. Gave the tour guide 15rmb as tip...:P one thing though the tour is in mandrain...and i don't understand too much mandrain. So i just took the tour as a transportation package. The flight to Xi'an from HongQiao, Shanghai, will cost 900rmb per one way ticket . What i did was when i reach the airport then i booked the tickets..its very easy. If u need more details feel free to email me yah...
Apr 12, 2004 22:45
  • YAZOO
Xian is not really 'around Shanghai' ;-) And I did not find it so special, but of course tastes differ. Around Shanghai there is Hangzhou, Yangzhou, Zhouzhuang, Suzhou, Wuxi... but after a while these Eastern towns get a bit boring. Go more to the west of China, which is more beautiful : Yunnan, Sichuan, Guizhou, Guangxi, Xinjiang, Tibet,... There is really such a big choice that you have to find out for yourself.
But it's definitely possible to do it on yourself. Prepare yourself very good, learn a few chinese phrases, take a chinese textbook with you and have some patience...the ingredients for a beautiful trip around beautiful China.
Post a Reply to: Travelling to Shanghai in May
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code