Menu
Meet and Greet Guide Needed
Aug 8, 2004 20:36
  • CASTAWAY109
I am traveling on September 3 for my first visit to China via Hong Kong. I will be staying in Shenzhen. I would like to find someone to meet me in the airport in Hong Kong, show me how the money exchange works there (and keep me from making a mistake there), and show me the way to the bus/ferry and through customs and eventually to my hotel. If you are available please write to me at hotmail.com|castaway109 Thanks, Keith.
Aug 8, 2004 21:14
  • VILAR
but can not meet you in hk airport.
cause i haven't apply for passport.
sorry.

if you need tourguide in shenzhen.
drop me line at mail.china.com|vilar
Aug 9, 2004 10:10
  • DAISY
Hi, Keith!
Please do worry about that, do keep calm in mind when you deal with everything.

The official exchange rate only moves slightly from ~US$1=HK$7.798 (we use 7.8 throughout the website). You can change money in Hong Kong at the following places, with varying levels of rates and commissions. Keep in mind that the exchange rate for traveler's checks is almost always better than that for cash.

Airport: Rates are a bit higher here, so change only what you need to get into the city as you'll get a better rate at a bank.

Bank: The best rates are at the banks, but some are better than others. Often, it depends on how much you are changing as some charge commissions (with less favorable rates) and others don't, but may have an attractive exchange rate. Shop and compare, as with everything in Hong Kong.

Hotel: The rates at hotels are not as good as at the banks, but they do have better hours.

ATM: That's right, at an Automated Teller Machine. There are ATM's all over Hong Kong (Star Ferry piers, large banks, major MTR stations, the Airport, etc.) and their exchange rates are better than the banks. What you have to watch out for is the commission your credit card company charges you. This can be a great way to get foreign currency anywhere if the amount is large enough to make the charges economical. It's also a great way for your credit card company to make a few extra dollars. It is a good idea to know before you go what your credit card company charges you for this service.

Money Changers: Visit these teeming entrepreneurs only as a last resort. If you see a very good rate advertised, then watch out for a commission charge. Again, use them only if you have to.

Hope these can give you a thread:D
Aug 18, 2004 19:11
  • BUBBLEGAL
hi, keith,
well, when u arrived hk airport, there is counters for exchange money, dont change all of ur money,becs usually the exchange rate in the airport is lower than outside.
check the address of ur hotel first, to know if it's in hk or it's in shenzhen. there are many ways to go shenzhen or to go the center of hk.
such as, u can take the train to go to the center of hk. and there is a ship to go directly from the airport to go to shekou ferry station which is in shenzhen. or there are a lot of bus to go to shenzhen...
Post a Reply to: Meet and Greet Guide Needed
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code