Menu
Making Chinese friends in China
Mar 3, 2006 10:52
  • HABLA
Hey people,

How easy/difficult is it to make Chinese friends when you live in China? I've heard it can be hard, because a lot of Chinese are weary of foreigners. But it does depend on the person, right? And probably where in China you end up?

I'm planning to go to Beijing to study in about year's time. By the time I'll get there I'll be 26 y.o. Also I'm Norwegian, short, brunette, female, really silly, and I'll probably be speaking a little Mandarin. Will any of these factors make it easier/ more difficult for me?

Thank you very much.
Mar 3, 2006 18:39
  • RITA
Habla,

Don't worry, Chinese will like you just fine:-) You will make more friends than you expect:))
Mar 4, 2006 03:44
  • SISI041
most chinese welcome foreigners. also most chinese are not good at english. so leave a false impression that chinese people are cold.

it is long for me eager to make some foreign friends and learn english by the way.

habla, when do you come to beijing ?
my email is hotmail.com|sisi041 my yahoo id is sisi041.
i can offer my help as possible as i can
Mar 4, 2006 03:57
  • CALIFORNIA
Hi,Habla,

Most of chinese are kindly and friendly,if you will,you can have many chinese friends!

And which university will you study in Beijing???

If you want to know more about Beijing,I will do my best to tell you!

Welcome!

By the way,I like north european country,Yes!Norway is beautiful,and I love its coast!!!
Mar 4, 2006 07:43
  • HABLA
Hey guys,

Thanks for great replies!

I've applied to a university in Norway to study Mandarin, and if I'm accepted, I'll go to Beijing early 2007. I don't know which university in Beijing yet. Maybe the university in Norway thinks my grades are too low, and then I'll study art instead.

But I'm trying to learn Chinese from books and CDs now, and I WILL travel to China eventually anyway. :)
Mar 5, 2006 02:32
  • CALIFORNIA
Hi,Habla,

I think you can try to find a university,and study in Beijing or China:-)

Good luck!

Mar 5, 2006 19:48
  • MELODYCHOW
Dear Habla,
Actually, many Chinese,especially the students who major in English are eager to make friends with foreigners. It will be much easier in Beijing cauz there are so many schools and universities...

I think you can make more Chinese friends,indeed.

Also, glad to leave my e-mail address:

yahoo.com.cn|zhoufeixuan0119

Keep contact. :-)
Mar 6, 2006 07:07
  • JABAROOTOO
Hello Habla and Ourfriends on the forum,

You wont have any trouble making friends when you come to China. There will be some at first who just want to practice language with you but eventually you will develop lasting relations with a good group.

My mother still has Chinese university friends after 20 years and they wrote faithfully to each other during those years until they finally met again in 2004.

I also have some wonderful Chinese friends, not all of whom speak good English but my life is the richer for thier relationships.

Just come with the desire to make friends and enjoy the experience.
Mar 9, 2006 16:34
  • HABLA
Jabarootoo, you are right.

"Just come with the desire to make friends and enjoy the experience."

Well said!
Mar 9, 2006 16:36
  • HABLA
Wocca, what's a "tout"? I know trout...

Sorry, Norwegian weege from Norway. Sometimes all this language nonsense confuses me. :P
Mar 9, 2006 17:47
  • KNIGHTRIDER
It takes 2 hands to clap. Making friends is easy if you are genuinely friendly and approachable.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Making Chinese friends in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code