Menu
Domestic Airline luggage restriction
Mar 7, 2006 15:13
  • KELLY3FAM
Leaving for China from US on Monday. Just learned that domestic air carriers in China limit number of pieces of luggage that can be checked and weight.

Is that true? Is it hard and fast rule?

What happens if we have more than one piece per person?

Mar 7, 2006 16:06
  • ROGERINCA
Kelly, you had better check with each individual airline you will be traveling on !!

Also, keep in mind, these rules are not only for intra-China flights, they can also apply here in the USA, and may be variable between the specific airline company.

Example: On route to China, flying from Sacramento to Los Angeles, CA on South West Airlines, their max bag weight was 50 lbs for check in baggage. On China Southern Airlines, from Los Angeles to China, it was 70 lbs. Therefore, I had to pay a penalty fee to South West, for my 70 lb. bag on route to my flight to China.

I would immediately call your travel agent or the [individual] airlines you have booked, and get a schedule of allowances for (a) Size -dimensions- (b) Weight ( c) Number -Total # of bags allowed- (d) Carry-on vs. checked and, (e) Charges for overweight bags !!

Hope this is helpful !!??

Mar 7, 2006 18:24
  • RITA
Economy class: 20kg
Business class: 30kg
First class: 40kg

And I think this is applicable for the domestic flights of all airlines.
Mar 8, 2006 07:25
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi Kelly,
I have always travelled to China with excess weight but have only ever been charged on a domestic sector from Guangzhou to Chongqing. last year I was almost double my allowance. Books a huge burden and are sometimes better posted over. Many of my friends have managed to post/freight extra here especially if they are coming longer term and need the material.

You can actually carry up to 12kg in cabin luggage and this is not always weighed in, especially if you do not present it????

But is pays to check. In china the excess fees are reasonable.
Mar 8, 2006 07:28
  • JABAROOTOO
It is also possible to carry more than one peice of cabin luggage - against the rules and notices everywhere of course.

Rules are made to break.

I am constantly surprised at what Chinese travellers can get into the cabin with them.
Mar 8, 2006 10:30
  • KELLY3FAM
Many thanks,

Kelly
Post a Reply to: Domestic Airline luggage restriction
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code