Menu
Dong Shui Men or other walls of CQ
Mar 8, 2006 00:12
  • SUEINCQ
I saw Jabarootoo's pics of Dong Shui Men. As I drive around CQ, I see the walls and just want to walk them. Is Dong Shui Men the section of the wall with the soldier statues climbing it? If not, could you tell me the general location? It looks interesting. I have a car, so getting there shouldn't be a problem.
Mar 8, 2006 07:09
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi Sue,
Lucky you with a car. I will eventually do a peice on the wall and gates of CQ but still collecting information.

The wall that is being overrun by the army of bronze is Tong Yuan Men on Zhongshan Yi Lu. From Chao Tian Men follow th Yangtze upstream about 1/2kms to Dong Shui Men. It is located just beneath the beautiful Huiguang Huiguan. Do you know the Cable car crossing? Looking back towards Chao Tian men to the left of these if you are crossing the river. another interesting gate is Qi Chu Men which has seven arches. I reakon the the name is a play on works.(7 exits - but not the same characters or meaning of course)

You'll find this next to the Chongqing daily's property and beneath the road just off XinHua Lu. There is an elevator beside it which you can ride back up later. took me over a year to find this again after accidently taking it instead of the cable car on time. Big difference but it was hard to find anything in the early days.

All in all there are four intact or restored gates in CQ CBD out of the original nine. there are many more in some of the small cities that have now been swallowed up in greater CQ.

Let me know if this is not enough but I think you should have no trouble locating any of them.

Mar 8, 2006 07:12
  • JABAROOTOO
Sorry for typo should read

Huguang Huiguan

For more on this have a look at travel tips - things to see in CQ
Mar 8, 2006 08:09
  • JABAROOTOO
Scaling the wall at Tong Yuan Men

Mar 8, 2006 08:13
  • JABAROOTOO
The seven arches of Qi Chu Men near the elevator or Dian Ti next to the Chongqing Daily's offices
Mar 8, 2006 08:15
  • JABAROOTOO
sorry missed the photo. BTW the first gate is over in Si Qi Kou

Mar 10, 2006 18:36
  • SUEINCQ
Thanks for the info. Think I'll go exploring. Right now I live downtown and I am always surprised at the things I find just by walking around. That's Chongqing though - at first glance, it seems like just another dirty, dreary city, but then you look just a little more closely...I truly am enjoying this place.

Have you been to the vegetable market behind Metropolitan Plaza? Good veggies, although you have hold your breath through the meat market first!
Post a Reply to: Dong Shui Men or other walls of CQ
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code