Menu
Why does everyone wear suits?
Mar 8, 2006 03:55
  • KYLE
At first I thought I was just seeing things. Then I thought, "oh, only a few people do it." Now I am know that its true! Everyone is wearing a suit!
I know not "EVERYONE" wears a suit but its so strange to see men working on the street in a suit. They are digging in the dirt or hammering a building, in a suit. They are begging for money or shouting aimlessly, in a suit. I even saw a man with no shoes, picking his nose, in a suit. Can anyone explain why physical laborours are wearing manaul laborours clothes.
Mar 8, 2006 07:42
  • RITA
In some people's opinions, there are no suits, dress, uniform or evening wears... etc, there are only clothing, when they need a piece of cloth to cover themselves, they put whatever available. If they buy clothes (I seriously doubt if the people you described ever do that), they buy what they can afford. Many Chinese do not care about styles, taste or fashions, those are luxuries they doomed to abundon maybe even long before they were born. There are things so basic to ground to be taken care of for so many people.
-------------------------------------
I have another idea, some of what they wear were donated by rich/ richer people...
Mar 8, 2006 08:02
  • JABAROOTOO
There was a time when the majority of people wore the same style of clothing. No choices for the average person.

At this same time very few people had leisure time or pursuits, hence there is no need for different clothes for different occasions.

Then western suits became more readily available and they were the obvious 'choice'. Still not much choice.

But this is just my theory.

Like you Kyle I was amused and perplexed at seeing manual labourers dress in suits like executives but a closer inspection would reveal garments which were well worn and often soiled.

Personally I don't know how they manage. it must be very hot and uncomfortable some times and not so easy to clean or keep clean either.

Any other explanations out there?????????

Mar 8, 2006 18:05
  • KYLE
Thanks Ladies,
One thing I didnt add that Jab picked up on. When I said "suits" I didnt mean tip-top, fancy pancy, well ironed, suits.
I have seen them absolutly destroyed, filthy, and woren beyong belief. The men still wear them however.
Someone told me that it had somthing to do with the Cultural Revolution. Maybe thats what you were reffering to Jab?
p.s. Ill put up some good example pictures soon
Mar 8, 2006 19:01
  • CONNY129
most of them have no idea about what to wear in different occasions , suit is all-purpose ,he can wear it to work no matter manual or labour work ,of course it must be some difference between the two kind of workers , the price of suit is different in a great way .
Mar 8, 2006 20:25
  • ETHNICEAST
well for one practical reason, it is just a clothe to keep warm, especially in places where it is a bit cold,
secondly it is not expensive locally, sometimes it can be the same price as a local pullover.
then it is because it is not necessary to wash, it is an outer clothe.
then again, the worker could have pick it up from some reject shops or fleamart.
wearing a suit doesnt ascribe status to it. just a piece of clothing. not branded anyway.

Mar 8, 2006 20:47
  • RITA
I guess those were all the possibilities of people wearing suits doing manual work.:)

Next time you may be astonished seeing people(mostly women) wearing pyjamas outside. At least when I was in Shanghai-boasted as an international city, I often saw women walking in the streets in pyjamas and slippers. haha~
Mar 8, 2006 21:40
  • DAVIDCHEN
The West invented the suit. The Chinese have made it their own. It is durable, warm, nice looking, cheap (even when purchase new) and can even be worn with any type of inner wear. It is a piece of "all-season" and multi-usage clothing that the Chinese guys cannot do without. Three cheers to the Chinese for being so innovative.
Mar 8, 2006 21:51
  • MAY001
Peasant wear suits when they are working in the field, too~~~~lol
Mar 9, 2006 00:41
  • ETHNICEAST
on another angle, you can say these people did respect the culture of wearing suits; which is normally worn for work, so they are working even though they are "environmental engineers", or we call cleaners. they wear it for work.
after all suits are not worn for weekend partys and casual outings.
as for women coming in pyjamas and sleeping clothes with curlers, this is disrecpect for the social manners.

Mar 9, 2006 02:17
  • MAY001
Yes, ETHNICEAST, I can't agree u more. Wearing pyjamas and sleeping clothes with curlers is really a terrible thing for me. I will never behave like this!
Post a Reply to: Why does everyone wear suits?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code