Menu
The "REAL" China
Mar 9, 2006 22:34
  • DRONGO
Visitors to China usually have many questions on what China is really like. In other words, what is the "real" China. Pictures of the Great Wall, pagodas, mountains does not really represent the "real" China.

The people, the food, the culture, the housing, and the lifestyles may be a better indication of what China is like. This is the "real" China. Do you think so?

Mar 10, 2006 01:09
  • CALIFORNIA
I don't thinks so!

Great Wall is real;
Forbidden City is real;
Pagodas are real;
Mountains are real......

Everything that you saw was real......
Mar 10, 2006 01:45
  • DRONGO
Yes California, those are real. Even first-time tourists have heard about these things. Besides the Great Wall etc, what does the first-time tourists know?

Basically they know very little about China. Some recent threads asked are why everybody wears a suit and making friends in China. I remember that someone asked if there are ATMs in China.

When I mention the "real" China, I mean that most first-time tourists do not know what China is really like. many still think that China is a very backward country and very very poor.

It is unfortunate that many travel websites do not have enough pictures of the country other that the tourist spots.

So when the first-time tourist landed in China, they are in for a surprise. Thats what I mean the "real" China.

What do you think tourists should see besides the Great Wall etc?
Mar 10, 2006 01:58
  • CALIFORNIA
Hi,Drongo,

I understood your "real" China,and my last reply was just exterior.

I have asked some foreign friends of mine,and everyone has different answer.But most of they pay attentions to Splendid chinese history or culter,communist party and commons' life!

Even one old scotch told me:He really can't believe that the chinese youth wear NIKE or Adidas before he came to China!

What's the meaning of his world???China was still myterious for the foreigners,though we open more than 20 years.

Haha,how do you know what's the real china?Maybe you can ask chinese,you can take about Iraq War,Iran Nuke Crisis,Hamas......with chinese youth,and ask them what abut the life in china?!

You can also go to visit the folk parks,look at the dacing and singing old chinese,what do they think about??

Good luck to you!!!

By the way,even I don't know REAL china,and looking for the answer every week in Beijing.
Mar 10, 2006 02:15
  • CONNY129
maybe we should move our lens to the normal life and pay more attention to those "The people, the food, the culture, the housing, and the lifestyles "
Mar 10, 2006 02:18
  • WCTMAN
In my opinion, to experience the real China, one must live here for a period of time, say a year or two. One must eat with the Chinese, travel with them, share some laughs with them, go dancing, take part in the cultural festivals etc. Otherwise, the tourist view is all that can be seen.

Mar 10, 2006 02:33
  • DRONGO
I agree about your views on experiencing the "real" China. It is to get absorbed into the mainstream of daily living. Live and see the life through the eyes of the locals.

Yearly travels to see China's tourist spots is hardly considered knowing the "real" China.

Post a Reply to: The "REAL" China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code