Menu
Job-for-life, Is It Still the Case?
Mar 13, 2006 20:35
  • RITA
Since when job-hopping became so popular in China? I don't think poeple live in 30 years' ago China heard that word. I guess the word came into being in the early 80s. Sometimes I talk with poeple over 50s, they are so proud that they spent over 25~30 years in the same company/ factory! How many young people nowadays would like to work for the same company their whole life?
Mar 13, 2006 21:08
  • PINETREE
The world is not stagnant and keep changing.
In many other industrialised/developing/developed countries, employees are now not encouraged to stay put. Loyalty is a dirty word - other than loyalty to the country. People are also finding more job opportunities in line with their countries' developments. There are more jobs with better short-term prospects. Loyalty is not a consideration when looking for jobs.
Logic behind this latest trend is basically cost-cutting. A long-service employee tends to be higher-paid and to an extent become complacent and deeply-rooted in certain mindset & thus less flexible to cope with the dynamics of modern economics,etc.
Though experience is invaluable, it cannot be measured. Thus Management cannot justify retaining older, experienced but higher-paid employees.
Personally, I think this is bad - after all most of these big companies are continuing to make very high profits. But this is the trend & hard to fight against. Eventually, the older employees will be phased out without jobs. But this is not the concern of the business corporations - their only concern is making money & more money.
Mar 13, 2006 22:00
  • CONNY129
there are many reasons caused job-hopping .
if a company want to exsit in the market oriented economy , it has to adapt to the situation and make continuous innovation ,how to do that ?? human labour is the only resource !! continuously adopt new members to activate the management ,so that a company can exsit in the rush economic system
Mar 13, 2006 22:38
  • SNOWBIRD
I agree with Pinetree that the big corporations concern is making money and more money. Workers are no longer an asset. Workers are disposable. Hire and fire become a commmon practice of Human Resource Management. In fact, many big companies are now out-sourcing certain of their operations to the Contractors. As a result of such company's attitude, job-hopping is an option.

Workers no longer feel an attachment to the Company they worked for. At the end of the day, workers look for better companies that offer better incentives.

There is no more job-for-life in today's economy. No Company can guarantee you a "iron rice bowl".
Mar 14, 2006 00:24
  • ROGERINCA
All of what you say is true in today’s world, not only in Asia, but also America.

In days past, most people worked for the same company or in the same career for many years, if not their entire lifetime. But now with even large ‘name brand’ companies changing ownership, filing bankruptcy, reducing workforce, dropping pension plans etc., it has transformed the working landscape. Gone too, is the employee loyalty to the company that in the past, would take care of the worker.

Now, only in some government job/careers, such as law enforcement, and other necessary government public safety/service jobs, is there still a lifetime career path available. But even today in these jobs, the benefit structure and pension plan options, are in a state of change, or anticipated change, for the worker just now entering the workforce. I feel blessed to have been able to work for the same agency for 33 years, with great job satisfaction and advancement opportunities and rewarding benefits.
Post a Reply to: Job-for-life, Is It Still the Case?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code