Menu
6 hour ideas!!
Mar 16, 2006 07:48
  • RACHELH
Whilst travelling to and from Oz, I am stopping twice in Shanghai and would really appreciate some ideas of what can be managed in the time I have available.
On the way there, I have approx 4 active hours (after immigration etc) and wondered if it would be worth leaving the airport and if so, what could be suggested - where to go, how to get there etc.
On the way back, I have an overnight stay. I have from 8pm onwards free - is it safe to travel into the centre etc? The next day, I have until 1pm to be busy, again, any suggestions.
I really want to make the most of my short time here.
Thanks
Mar 16, 2006 08:20
  • PINETREE
If there is nothing better to do, go try Chinese body massage, foot reflexology & manicure.
Mar 17, 2006 00:06
  • ELLYSE
I assume that you already have the necessary visas, or you've already confirmed that you can get a transit visa on-the-spot when you arrive at the airport?
What time is your 1st stopover? It's unclear as to whether you'll be in time to take the Maglev out of the airport. In any case, you seem to have only 4 hours after you get past immigration, baggage claim and customs... you'll need to arrive back at the airport (I presume you're leaving from the same airport? There're 2 airports in Shanghai) about 1.5-2 hours before your next flight, in order to check in. Therefore, I think you won't have enough time on your 1st stopover to get to downtown Shanghai and back. It takes at least 45 mins each way to get to downtown Shanghai. Even if you just go to Pudong and have a look-see, it'll take at least 30 mins each way.
On your 2nd stopover, I recommend that you take Hotel Shuttle line C to the Peace Hotel, which's situated at the corner of the Bund and Nanjing Lu. You can sightsee along the Bund then walk down Nanjing Lu pedestrian street all the way to People's Square. Take the metro from People's Square for 1 stop to Huangpi Nanlu metro station (line 1), then walk to Xintiandi which's a collection of restaurants and nightlife places in a collection of preserved historical buildings. The next morning, you can head to Yuyuan Garden if you'd like to see a classical Chinese garden. If not, just stroll around the Yuyuan Bazaar. Don't forget to go to the famous Nanxiang xiaolongbao restaurant around 1030 to enjoy a delicious brunch of Shanghai's most famous culinary special and various Shanghainese dim sum. Be early or else you'll have to wait for ages. After brunch, it'll be time for you to head towards where you need to be going.
Mar 17, 2006 03:37
  • RACHELH
Thanks, that really is a super help - Dim sum it is, can't wait!!
Please keep the ideas coming...
Post a Reply to: 6 hour ideas!!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code