Menu
I'm very worried......
Mar 20, 2006 11:16
  • NAGGER
Hello there,
I have recently heard about avian flu on media.It has appeared in several countries like Sweden,Turkey,Myanmar and even China .Does somebody have any idea how bad the current situation is in China at the moment? Should I postpone my visit there ? I appreciate all your comments for the good or for the bad .
Thank you
Mar 20, 2006 13:44
  • SABERXLCR
Nagger: The virus is world-wide now and I would not consider visiting 'bird farms' in any country. This disease is really only from close contact with poultry. If you are really worried about this virus, I would get a flu shot before you go on your trip to China.

BUT: if you see a chicken coughing or sneezing…RUN!
;-}
Mar 20, 2006 14:29
  • NAGGER
Is there any kind of vaccination which can be taken in advance ?
Mar 20, 2006 14:48
  • SABERXLCR
Nagger, contact your doctor about the ‘flu shot’ to see if it would specifically help you.

There is a site where you can learn more about the ‘bird flu/avian influenza’:

http://www.who.it/healthtopics/HT2ndLvlPage?HTCode=avian_influenza
Mar 20, 2006 15:21
  • ROGERINCA
Nagger, please do not be unduly worried !! Do not let rumor or misinformation intercede in your life and with your travel plans.

I am very familiar with this subject and have been following it closely.
This is not just a Chinese problem or issue, it is now a "world-wide" matter.

First, the western media has been known, in the past, to blow things out of proportion and try to capitalize on making headlines and thus selling more newspapers or TV advertising !! The media attempted to link this outbreak to China/Asia early-on; however, the reality of the migration of wild fowl across the planet, has changed all of this.

As of this writing, I am not postponing my next trip to China, nor should you, no more than you or I would now postpone living in our own native countries !!! The Chinese government has taken this issue seriously and has worked very hard and professionally to contain its spread among commercial farms and flocks in China. I feel that I will be safe in China and I will not alter my travel plans.

The most expert influenza doctor/scientist in America, recently stated that there is a "50-50" chance that, between now and next Autumn, or possibly the following year, the Avian Flu Virus would mutate and be able to cross over from poultry/animals and become contagious from human to human, and become a pandemic. Pandemic flu is flu that causes a global outbreak, of serious illness that spreads easily from person to person. Currently there is no pandemic flu.

If it should successfully mutate and then become a pandemic (spread across the planet) it would not really matter what country you were visiting and or reside in. All of us humans, would truly become equally susceptible, without regard to nationality/ethnicity, nor monetary or social status.

With respect to a flu shot: While flu shots have been proven effective for many common Type A and B influenza virus strains which circulate most every Autumn and Winter within many countries, and while vaccination is one of the most effective ways to minimize suffering and death from influenza; there is however, and unfortunately, [no] vaccine currently available to protect humans against the H5N1 avian influenza.

A vaccine probably would not be available in the early stages of a pandemic. Scientists around the world work together when developing a new vaccine against influenza to select the virus strain that will offer the best protection against that specific influenza. Manufacturers then use the selected strain to develop a vaccine. Once a potential pandemic strain of influenza virus is identified, it takes several [months] before a vaccine will be widely available.

This is the most current information, I hope it assists you and others. I hope you enjoy your travel to China, as much as I always enjoy mine !!

Mar 20, 2006 17:44
  • ROGERINCA
Not really sure what the point of the question is, in the context of this subject and how I responded to the man who asked the thesis question of this thread......???

But then again, it is in keeping with the usual depressed and 'negative' mind-set, most often displayed.

That's my answer !!!
Mar 20, 2006 18:42
  • RITA
Hi Nagger,

Yes, the avian influenza has been existed in many coutries including China - , there are only a few cases of confirmation of bird flu now and then appeared on media. Our life seems as normal as any time before, people buy chicken, eating at KFC and I myself eat an egg for breakfast this morning. Maybe I should be more careful:)) but this is life. I see no panic at all.

I don't see any reason you have to postpone your China travel schedule. And you will not have chance to see live chicken or duck walking or coughing or sneezing in the streets:))).

Before you travel overseas, I suggest you take some good excise to make you very stong and healthy, with or without avian influenza...
Mar 20, 2006 19:22
  • PINETREE
This is what I call "prejudice" !
Mar 20, 2006 19:26
  • RITA
Pinetree,

You are so sharp & perceptive, you can even see the prejudice behind avian influenza, hehe~
Mar 20, 2006 19:27
  • CALIFORNIA
Hi,Nagger,

You know,China was so large,1.3 billion population,and 9.6 million square kilometres......

So don't worry about it!
Mar 20, 2006 19:34
  • CALIFORNIA
Hi,pinetree,

I think so!!!

PREJUDICE!!!
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: I'm very worried......
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code