Menu
what to wear?
Mar 20, 2006 17:00
  • NORA
Hi--I'm looking for clothing tips (female adult)from Shanghai-Yangtze River-Beijing from the end of April-mid May. Practical, but fashionable and respectful of local attitudes toward propriety; also, what would you recommend to buy? I'm pretty small (size 2-4), but is that still too large to find Chinese clothing to fit? Thanks for the tips; I'm very excited about this trip!!
Mar 20, 2006 19:30
  • CALIFORNIA
Hi,Nora,

You can go to Silk Street and Yaxiu Market to find some female clothing.

Good luck!
Mar 20, 2006 20:18
  • RITA
I know what you mean:)

Since you will be traveling- you will do some walking or trekkings, and it is very important to wear casually or comfortably while traveling, it's hard to wear casually and fashionable at the same time, it is possible, but not easy, though:-)) It's a tough question for me, hehe~.

Jeans are widely acceptable within the whole country, and jeans can be beautiful. The places you will travel are very open, people will not scream or be shocked at foreigners wearing just whatever, except... maybe birthday suits:-), sorry, I'm kidding.. I mean what suits you in your country will be fine here.
Mar 21, 2006 07:15
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi Nora,

Just wear what you feel comfortable in and modest. I wouldn't recommend hot pants for instance. You will get looked at enough apart from what you are wearing.

The Chinese generally are very much up there with the fashion and to be honest almost anything goes. Up north it will still be cool so be sure to pack jeans and comfortable light to mid weight trousers and sweaters and spray jacket. Could still be pretty cool on the Yangtze too.

SIZES. I work in the clothing industry when I'm not in China and I've not come across adult sizing in the 2-4 range. Size 6 is the smallest and this is a typical American sizing. Obviously a very petite size in which you probably will have no trouble finding clothing to fit you.
You are fortunate.

I'm a size 12/14 which is a M when I am home but in China I am considered XL and then some. I'd call myself average for my height.

Post a Reply to: what to wear?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code