Menu
Forum Ranking & Limelight
Mar 20, 2006 19:38
  • PINETREE
After having been here for a few months, I do observe that there are (or should be "is" ?) members who seem so obsessed by the ranking based on articles written & comments made in this Forum.

Am not sure that this ranking is a good idea.
It seems that certain articles have been raised just for this purpose with some members just consistently sticking photos without comments. Maybe the Admin should post a "Stick No Bills" here !
This has partly caused some unnecessary friction amongst members
Why do I say "Am not sure... is a good idea " ?
Most members here are observed to be well-educated adults & some of whom have really been round the world, highly experienced and hold very respectable jobs in their private lives. As such, these "respectable" members should be matured enough not to be carried away by such a mundane "ranking" exercise. Yet ....
Just recently one "respectable"(I thought)member yelled into my ears, "Pinetree, don't try to dominate the site" ! I just couldn't believe my ears (or eyes).

What do you guys/gals say to this ?
Mar 20, 2006 20:10
  • RITA
Ranking system is widely popular and effective to encourage members to contribute more and more for most forums of various languages/ types, including this one Travel China Guide Community, the ranking gives others the first impression roughly the time the member spent / how much he/ she has contributed to the forum. It also gives the moderators/ admins of the forum an easy and eye-catching way as to measure somthing [I don't know exactly, but there should be] behind the stage...

But I believe the perceptive and intellegent members/ admins measure or appreciate much more than just seeing the figures shown in members profiles.

I saw some other forums using ranking system, too but to 'encash' those figures into something really stimulant (such as all kinds of gifts), so it is easier to understand why people there spend hours on end to 'flood' the forum with both quality posts and not so quality posts just to raise rankings. Well, some poeple have lots of time to pour in the forum, I can not blame them for that. But here, in this 'international' forum, people are mature and very well-educated and join in with very good and positive aims to learn and contribute at the same time, all of us here are beneficiaries, no matter in which way they prefer to learn or to contribute...

I am the one happy to see that, I really am...

But as an old saying in Chinese goes: everything we do, we should do it within a specific yardstick, many of us {or I would venture to say MOST of us} here has input something now and then for mere fun or to please themselves, it is harmless - we are human beings, perfectly harmless and acceptable. But some, we all have to admit that, some just have been doing far beyond that "yardstick"!! So, they can choose to keep doing like that, and all of the rest have the right to decide whether to accept it or not.

Enjoy the forum!
Mar 20, 2006 20:12
  • CHRISTINE
  • Community Moderator
Hello Pinetree,

Thanks very much for your suggestion and attention for TCG forum.

We have realised some side-effect of this forum ranking system. Everythings has its two sides. We will take your advice into serious consideration.

Thanks again.

Christine
Mar 20, 2006 20:20
  • BIRDSHIT
Hi Pinetree... very interesting article. The rating system applies very well in other forums that I have seen. In this forum, it is treated as a "POWER" tool. Some members feel "powerful" when they have more logons & postings. As you said, they just post anything ... just about any kind of threads. Its crazy!! I'm happy you can still put in some comments. I've been shot so often, I can't write anything without some members shooting me down. I am terribly wounded now ...lol..

Mar 20, 2006 20:23
  • ROGERINCA
Oh, my God Rita !!!!

I think you must be the most intelligent woman I know on this Earth !!!

You always steal all of my thoughts, and/or say what I am feeling but cannot put it in words !!!

I said it once before, and I will say it again, we are ALL so very lucky to have your presence here on TCG, you have so much "CLASS" !!!

Thank you Rita !!!! :) :)
Mar 20, 2006 20:36
  • ROGERINCA
Hi Bird…. !!

You know, we all seem to side-step the issue. We all use the terms, “some” members, or in the plural, member (s). Maybe it is really only one member that we all talk about ?? Maybe it is one member and one ‘friend’ of the member that have caused the ongoing and now most recent ‘stir’ here in this community of mature, intelligent, adults ???

I look at that list of the top ten point earners, and I only see [one] who fit’s the description of a perpetrator !!!

I for one, will gladly donate my earned points to (most) anyone who would like them !!

This is only my opinion of course ………LOL LOL !!!

Mar 20, 2006 21:29
  • PINETREE
BirdShit,
We know that you are wounded; we witnessed some of the comments written about u by 1-2 members and which we thought was unfair, too. Am sure, another member feels the same way - that's why we were branded as a "gang" !!
Don't let unreasonable members shoot u down - this is not a colony. Fight for your right.
Mar 20, 2006 23:32
  • PINETREE
Yes, might not be a bad idea.
What you think, Wocca ?
Mar 21, 2006 00:09
  • ROGERINCA
How about abolishing the "problem", and leave the ranking system alone !!??
Mar 21, 2006 00:34
  • CONNY129
I don't think there is anything wrong with the ranking system ,it is just due to our attitude toward it . rating is a direct way to show who is the frequent contributor , it does not reflect one's status in the forum . I think we all have our own orders , take it easy :)
Mar 21, 2006 00:42
  • CALIFORNIA
To go our own way, to let others speak!!!
Page 1 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Forum Ranking & Limelight
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code