Menu
Travelling and accomodation in Shangri-la
Mar 21, 2006 22:31
  • TYTT
Hi,

I'm planning a trip to Yunnan Province in mid-May and my tentative route at this moment is:

Kunming -> Lijiang -> Shangri-La

Questions:
1. Is it possible to hire a car with driver/guide so that I'm able to travel to other parts of Yunnan?

2. How do I get to Shangri-La, explore the different places (eg the limstone terrace) over there, and where can I find lodging?

3. If a tour guide is a must, do you have any recommendation for a reliable one?

Thank you.
Mar 23, 2006 06:14
  • JABAROOTOO
Anything is possible in China

Yes you can always hire a car/taxi with a driver in most places for a price. Accommodation is readily available in most major cities and smaller towns. It is only when you get right away from the well trodden paths that you may not find things so readily avialable or of the quality that you might prefer.

You can fly to Zhongdian(Shangrila) from Kunming and most likely from Lijiang or take the bus, visiting Tiger Leaping gorge on the way.

Suggest you do some reading of review on TCG written by folk who have been ther. If you google these places you are sure to find more information.

You don't need a tour guide but if you don't speak Mandarin then it may be a good idea if you can A) afford one and B) want to explore the remoter places.

may is a good time to travel and it is not quite peak season so you should have no trouble getting around and finding nice accommodation.
Post a Reply to: Travelling and accomodation in Shangri-la
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code