Menu
Sara's travelogue Beijing
Mar 22, 2006 04:00
  • NIHAOCHINA
Hi all, a friend of my Sara traveled to a few places in China. I pasted her emails here as I guess some of you guys might find it helpful

I'm now in Beijing and loving it, there is so much to see and do.

My sleeper bus from Shanghai wasn't actually that bad and they played 2 good movies. The second one was 'House of Flying Daggers' which I saw on the news the other day was actually up for some foreign film award.

Got to Bejing about 10am, dumped my bags and headed to Tianamen Square which was a bit of a dissapointment, it's not very big. Everyone here has said they felt the same. I also went to the Forbidden City which was amazing. On the way home I ran into Hannah and her family who were on their way to the Forbidden City, it was quite funny because I recognised the scarf she made first.

The first night there was only 1 other person in my room, a Korean girl who couldn't speak English so we had to speak in Chinese which was quite funny.

The next day I went to 3 different Hutong areas (the narrow old streets where some people still live.) It was a really nice day just walking through. I walked for over 5 hours. I also went to the Bell and Drum Tower and to the shopping area which has a side street with lots of food. Next time I go I might have scorpion on a stick.

Yesterday I went to the Summer Palace which is really beautiful, the lake was frozen so you could walk across it. At first I just walked around it because I thought knowing my luck I'd fall and hurt something, but then I decided to brave it and walked realy slowly. I then went to the Old Summer Palace - anyone coming to Beijing in winter DO NOT GO!!! It is a demonic wasteland and I hated it, threw a trantrum and left. They are doing a lot of work on it, there's no plants because it's too cold and there's no water in the lakes.

A group of us then went out for Beijing duck for dinner, we had a really delicious meal, and it wasn't very expensive at all. We went with a Chinese couple, Jackie works here so they showed us a good cheap place to go.

Today I decided to have a lazy day becasue I was walking from 9am-5pm yesterday. I went to Lama Temple and to the Confucian Temple and College. Later I'll go and see the change of guard at Tianamen Square and go to a night market.

Don't know what I'm up to tomorrow but on Friday I'm going to the great wall. I'm going to do the 4 hour walk along the wall from Jinshanling to Simatai. Apparently it's quite a hard walk but well worth the pain. In Shanghai a guy showed me his pictures of the walk and it looks really steep so I'm a bit worried.

Post a Reply to: Sara's travelogue Beijing
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code