Menu
Sara's travelogue --Chengdu-Lijiang-Zhongdian-Lijiang-Dali(cont)
Mar 22, 2006 04:10
  • NIHAOCHINA
Cont.

So a bus turns up at 7.30am and guess where it's going, Lijiang. So I got there in the end, though seriuosly condsidering not getting on the bus at one stage - thank god for lopermide! Really nice bus ride through the country.

Lijiang was really beautiful but extremely touristy, masses of Chinese tour groups. Wandered around on my first day and then spent the afternoon on our balcony in the sun looking at the view. The next day I was all set to go to Tiger Leaping Gorge (a 2-3 day hike), backed my bags, bought a cap and suntan lotion. All I was going to take was soap, a towel, changes of underwear. But my stomach had other plans so I didn't get much sleep and when my alarm went off I had to tell the person I was going with I couldn't go.

Lijiang started to drive me crazy with all the people, so I took some proper drugs to sort out my stomach and heaed off to Zhongdian, 100km from the Tibetan boarder. It snowed for the 2 days we were there, went up with someone from the hostel. Spent the next day walking around a 300 year old Tibetan monastry in shin deep snow. It was amazing.

Ran into Dean and Hannah, who I met in Beijing, when I got back to Lijiang and went out for dinner. They had run into a couple they met in Xi'an, who I'd met in Zhongdian, and they came too.

Now in Dali, walked around and had dinner, then did some much needed washing. I'll need to do washing more often now as I've got rid of a lot of things so I can now actually carry my backpack.

Thought I might leave you with some of the signs/noticeboards I've seen and taken photos of along the way
- Birds are our friends
- Pay attention to saftey! Nice to live!
- Wildlife is not food
- To be friend with the environment, treat it as your friends
- Only urinate!

Apparentl there is a 'No sh*t!' sign somewhere in Dali I hope to find.

One week to go in China, after Dali I go to Kunming then head down to Vietnam. Really enjoying Yunnan, they cities have been getting to me but there's plenty of beautiful countryside to go into for the day.

Post a Reply to: Sara's travelogue --Chengdu-Lijiang-Zhongdian-Lijiang-Dali(cont)
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code