Menu
Travelers Cheques
Mar 23, 2006 09:04
  • BEEJAY
Cheques, thats the non U.S. way of spelling it.
I will be using these on my upcoming visit to Shanghai.
I have used them in the last 18 months in Hong Kong/Singapore/Thailand, without any problems.
I have been told that things may not be quite the same in China.
Lonely Planet claim that tha best exchange rate can be obtained with these cheques.
I will not be far from a branch of the Bank of China, so there will be no problem in that area.
Has anyone one had experience with these. they will be American Express, and in U.S. dollars.
Any information would be gratefully accepted.
Thank You
Mar 24, 2006 00:45
  • ELLYSE
No problem whatsoever. The exchange rate a couple of days ago for travellers cheques was 8.03 RMB to 1 USD.
Mar 24, 2006 02:41
  • CITYBELL

You can use it in shanghai. but except star hotels and some shopping malls don't accept TC. Since BOC is near to your place, better to get it exchanged there..but i think they charge some commission.

In Pudong airport , if you exchange for more than 500 dollars you get a better rate, sme notice i saw a few months ago.
Mar 24, 2006 07:08
  • JOHNRANDEL
I tried to use American Express traveler's Cheques in ShenZhen. I went to many banks including the Bank of China and I still have them. So guess it depends where you go. If anyone knows where I can go in ShenZhen I would appreciate it
Post a Reply to: Travelers Cheques
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code